Water softener drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Leemonster

Reaction score
Hello, I'm planning an install for a water softener in my basement and want to make sure I can plumb in a drain properly. I have an existing drain pipe that currently handles a bathroom and washer that I want to tie into. I've attached a picture. I'm thinking I can just cut into this and install a p trap and standpipe for the softener drain. Does anyone see any problems with this? Any ideas or criticisms are welcome Thanks.

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,562

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Remove the C/O cap and install a male adaptor and bush it down to 1.5". Install a short peice of pipe and a 1.5" san. T. You will come off this T for your trap and stand pipe. On the top of the T add a peice of pipe that will go 4" min., higher, than where the stand pipe stops and install a 1.5" female adaptor. Purchase an AAV (air admitance valve), teflon tape the threads and install it.

You should have a 2" air gap between where the stand pipe stops and where the softner line discharges.

If you needed to this whole set up can be unthreaded to snake the line.

Last edited:

Leemonster

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks Cass, I like it (no cutting the pipes). I tried removing the C/O cap the other day and it was stuck. I didn't apply a whole lot of torque to it because I was afraid something might snap. Is my fear justifed or should I just go for it? Maybe I should soak the threads with WD40 or something for as few days before I go at it? Thanks again.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
WD 40 is not good for plastic parts.

You might have to drill holes in it and cut it out.

There are some jurisdictions which do not allow you to convert a cleanout to other uses. I'll never tell anyone you did it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks