Free standing basin style bathtub with no access to connect drain tail pipe trap

Users who are viewing this thread

dintraligi

Reaction score
Hello.

I've found many answers from this forum over the years so my thanks to all posters. This is my first time posting a question.

I'm installing a free standing basin style bathtub. The abs drain/trap has been roughed in. The bathroom floor is finished/tiled and the room below the bathroom has a decorative ceiling and I was asked not to cut an access through it. Therefore, once the tub is in place there is no access to connect the drain (no access to tighten the trap adapter). Are there trap adapters that are friction fit using o-rings vs the common compression fit screw to tighten?

Thanks in advanced

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You use a solvent weld trap and glue it up as you roll the tub into place. This is why you have to make sure everything is right the first time, because it's a one-shot deal.

Last edited:

OS&B

Reaction score
You can use the OS&B drain kit ITD35 at the rough in stage a little late for this contractor

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
You can use the OS&B drain kit ITD35 at the rough in stage a little late for this contractor

Are you OS&B the company? Your new drain kit does it work with the lighter tubs and anti tip brackets? I posted this on the other thread you have going.

island-tub-drain.jpg

This looks like a Kick Ass idea. I hate screwing around with these free standing tubs.

How does this work with any Anti Tip Brackets.... I can not imagine it's possible to use both? What tub are you using? This might work for a heavy cast iron tub but the lighter tubs all require anti tip brackets.

Careful here..... Sometimes too good to be true is too good to be true. I wrote this article for Houzz a couple years back - Dreaming of a Spa Tub at Home? Read This Pro Advice First

Looks like an O-Ring seal hey Terry. Brass tail pieces slips inside. Compression Nut has room below tub... Pretty slick.

I bet I could Jerry Rig an off cut of 4" PVC or ABS and use some Noble Sealant 150 and a little scrap of NobleSeal TS to make a flashing detail for a barrier free European Wet Room install. Maybe I can get OS&B to send me one for product testing....

Could you send me on to play with? I'll let you know what I figure out...

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the tubs I install have the drain below the floor. I normally cut a 8" x 12" cutout in the flooring.
The tub waste and overflow comes up through that, and then I drop the tub down on it.

clawfoot_2221.jpg

ABS trap below

accord_wild_03.jpg

Not free standing here.

neptune_tub_2.jpg

Installed from above.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Prep Work for our last Kohler Cast Iron Soaker

I hate those Kohler overflows. Leaked the first time we did an overflow test. Re Set it with a little silicone (sorry Jim) and then it passed the test.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, those Kohler overflows have been tricky to seal.
They use those on some of their acrylic tubs too.

wood_4604.jpg

wood_609.jpg

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Flood Test Requirements for Wet Room

This flood test was a bitch since the tub was sitting in the shower. Had to rig up some custom flashings here to pull off the flood test.

DaveC1

Reaction score
Has anyone used this ITD35 that can endorse it? I bought one but I would like to know if someone has had success with it. Ps, not a plumber :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks