Blown-in Insulation into Existing Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

MAD King

Reaction score
Hello,

My friend and I had a discussion if it would be also possible to insulate the interior and exterior walls with blown in insulation through the attice.
Normally you drill holes into the walls in the rooms. Can holes be drilled into the walls from the attic too and fill it with cellulose blown in?

Thank you

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think it is best to have an opening at both the top and the bottom of each stud bay, to make sure that it is being filled.

I don't think anyone would try filling from the top because in most homes one would only have a few inches of space to work between the outer wall and the roof.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Balloon-framed houses without top plates are easy to retrofit with blown insulation. If you're drilling through doubled-up top plates you have to keep the holes small enough to not degrade structure, which means you won't be snaking in a dense-packing hose. (In stud bays with batts it's usually possible and recommended to dense-pack over them, for superior air-tightness.)

But first things first, what materials are in the wall stackup, starting with the exterior paint, all the way into the interior paint? (eg: Brick / 1" air cavity/ rosin paper / plank sheathing / studwall cavity / lath / plaster / foil wallpaper)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks