Washing Machine Drain in Basement w/ CAD Drawing

Users who are viewing this thread

ForkWheelDrive

DIYer / Mech Engineer
Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a washer and dryer in the basement of my 1950's house. There were no dedicated laundry utilities before so they are all being added. I am trying to figure out how the washing machine drain could work. The attached drawing shows the existing piping to the septic system and the proposed routing of the washing machine drain line.

I know that I could drain into the laundry sink and pump it out with the Zoeller laundry pump, but I am trying to avoid that. I'd like to keep it simple and not rely on another piece of equipment. The pump is also a significant electrical draw at 10 amps.

zoeller_laundry.jpg

Would this proposed design work? Here is my thinking:
-The washing machine specs indicate no more than a 8' rise.
-The horizontal run along the bottom would act like a trap.
-The 3" vent above and the close proximity to the 6" drain directly into the septic act like the standpipe.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Please let me know if there is any additional information I can supply. Thanks!

laundry drain sketch_1.jpg
laundry drain photo_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That would not work, nor would it meet any code requirements. You will need a basin and pump system to pump the waste from the sink and laundry into the main line.

A washer must be drained to a laundry tray or a standpipe with an air gap. The fixtures must have proper P-traps.

Sethamin

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert, but I see many things wrong here.
-Your standpipe (if you can call it that) has no trap.
-It also has no vent, or rather, you're trying to use the section of pipe running to the above bathroom as a wet vent, which is definitely not allowed.
-And you're only using a 1" drain for a washing machine? I'm pretty sure the minimum is 2", and I've heard (ancedotally) that newer washer machines really need 3" (even though code does not dictate this).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I know that I could drain into the laundry sink and pump it out with the Zoeller laundry pump, but I am trying to avoid that.

The Zoeller pump is your best option there.

Do you really want waste backing up into your washer?

ForkWheelDrive

DIYer / Mech Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! Like I said I was trying to keep it simple so that's why I sketched the most direct option but I was definitely unsure about it. Looks like I will use the laundry pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks