Turn valve will not completely shut off water

Users who are viewing this thread

rosem637

Reaction score
Have an outdoor spigot that for the past 2 years I have not been able to shut the water off to completely. The spigot itself shuts the water off completely but the shutoff inside the house will not. No matter how hard I crank on the shut off, the water from the spigot will still not shut completely off. ANy ideas? Is it time to replace the shut off?
My shut off is a stop and waste valve almost like the one below.

Attachments

• DIR114_Finished-cutoff_s4x3_lg.jpg
    DIR114_Finished-cutoff_s4x3_lg.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 847

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't mess around with repairing old valves anymore. There are very few applications where installing a good quality 1/4 turn ball valve is not the right thing to do.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
If your shutoff is a stop valve the seat washer may be cracked/damaged. Happened to me. Could not get it to shutoff. Came to find out is was a damaged seat washer. I ended up cutting it out and soldering in a ball valve. Then I took the old apart to disect.

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 389
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 356
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 465

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most people would take it apart FIRST, in which case they would have seen the bad washer and replaced it. Job done, and they still had the "cap" to drain the water out so the faucet did not freeze and break.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't mess around with repairing old valves anymore. There are very few applications where installing a good quality 1/4 turn ball valve is not the right thing to do.

For most DIY'ers it would be easier to replace a washer than to sweat in a new valve.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm done replacing washers. I think all the replacement washers are coming from overseas, as I can't find any decent ones anymore.

HJ, I don't have any problems getting 1/4 turn ball valves with drain ports.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Most people would take it apart FIRST, in which case they would have seen the bad washer and replaced it.

Thats possible.

and they still had the "cap" to drain the water out so the faucet did not freeze and break.

You know 1/2 ball valves are made with a drain port. Not really too hard to find.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks