How to assemble close nipples properly without a hex center?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cwilliams2000

Reaction score
I am planning to replace a failed well pressure tank and part of the install will involve a few 1" close nipples. I have to be honest I have always dreaded these and always been able to find a hex version which seem terrific to me, but this is obviously due to the fact I don't know how to put them together. I can't grab them with tools so can you tell me the way to put these together and get enough threads in? Thank you very much!

Asktom

Reaction score
Just tighten what the close nipple goes into. For example, if you are putting a close nipple between two elbows put a wrench on one elbow to hold back and tighten the other. I say elbows in my example, but the two fittings could be anything.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Elementary, dear Watson. You DON'T tighten the close nipple. You tighten whatever you are screwing on to the close nipple. Doing that will tighten the nipple at the same time.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Now I feel much better. I figured that one out by myself some time ago.

Of course, I'm still embarrassed about it taking me so many years to figure out something even simpler: When I moved to Texas in my 30s, the weather forecast said "t-storms". Suddenly, a light bulb turned on: "T-storm" --> "Thunderstorm", "T-bird" --> "Thunderbird" -- oh, gee, they're the same car...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks