Sulfur Eliminator

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I talked to the owner of the company, very nice guy. He said the unit only uses 1 1/2 gallons per hour. Even with a small tank and a CSV that won't cause many extra cycles. He also said it works on the water in the top of the well. Makes sense to me that the water in the top of the well rarely gets turned over with a conventional system. When the pump draws water it comes directly from the water "vein", so the water in the top of the well never gets used and actually gives a good place for the stinky stuff in the water to live. The Sulfur Eliminator drops aerated water from the top and therefore stirs all the water in the well. I guess the stuff that gets percipitated out has to have some place to go, so I can see it might go to the bottom of the well. But if the pump isn't set right on the bottom, that might be a good place for that stuff to go. But you have a valid point JW and I would like to hear from some people who have had one of these long enough to have discovered if that is a problem or not.

Heart0610

Reaction score
I installed the Sulfur Eliminator on my well over 2 years ago and it works great. I had a problem with iron in my well so I installed the deluxe model. It catches the iron before it goes back in my well. I referred my dad who just had the rotten egg smell and he installed the regular model. His still has a filter on it that he rinses off about once a year. He says that his water taste so much better since the smell has been gone. Same goes for my well also. Best product ever for the money. They don't charge you until the smell is gone so you can't really beat that.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The 1.5 gallon per hour cycling the pump once every 6-8 ours is not a problem. Even with a CSV and a small tank, cycling once every hour is not that bad. I can also see where this would work on the water above the pump, which probably doesn’t get exchanged with normal use.

The only thing I see is if the pump never pulls the static level down, and all the water comes from below the pump, you would be pulling in untreated water. But if the static level does pull down when the pump starts, it would be getting treated water and all would be good. I also wonder what happens to the stuff that precipitates out in the well. Does it stick to the casing or fall to the bottom? I guess if the static level pulls down, the pump may suck in this stuff and some of it gets caught in the filter on the Sulfur Eliminator.

Even though I don’t really understand everything about it, there are several people who say it is working great. I would really like to hear from more people who have one.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Back in 1965 my father bought a new Monitor pump hoist, after that every single submersible went in on galvanized pipe. Why? So the plumbers couldn't pull them when they needed to be replaced.

Up z dazys and sch 80 put everyone in the pump business

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plumbers shouldn't touch pumps either.....

We don't use galvanized now except on deep sets.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Well at least those that don't know what they are doing or don't have the tools to work on them. I've never been a plumber, nor a driller. But I did a lot of plumbing to install my water treatment equipment and replace pressure tanks and pumps though.

Many plumbers and drillers shouldn't touch water treatment equipment either.

Heart0610

Reaction score
Who wouldn't pay 400 to 600 dollars to get rid of the rotten egg smell? When other systems cost thousands of dollars and still do not fix the problem! Slusser if you have never actually used the product then how can you give your so called professional opinion? I have the Sulfur Eliminator installed on my well and it recycles 36 gallons of water a day within a 24 hour period. I have a standard size 20 gallon tank and I get appox 6 gallons of draw out of my tank. There is no more electricity used or pump wear and tear than me taking an extra shower a day. My old water conditioning system back washed more water than that every night. and if I had bacteria like e-coli the Sulfur Eliminator is not used for that anyway. I had a well guy run a camera down in my well. I have steel casing and my father has pvc casing. My casing look like it had a quarter inch think of iron and his pvc casing had a good iron residue. After having the product installed for over 2 years my iron problem has stopped. As it was explained to me from the owner of the company who is a certified well contractor and very knowledgable that my irons are getting trapped in the filter. this filter was special made for the product and I only have to replace it once a year. They even sent me an extra filter when I ordered the product. After having the product on my well he was 100% correct. I have recommended this product to many of friends which one of them lives in Fl. It took care of his problem also. So your theory about the deep south goes out the window! There are many "too good to be true" products on the the market but The Sulfur Eliminator is not one of them! This product 100% does what it says! It was the best $598.00 I ever spent. I wish I would have known about The Sulfur Eliminator before I spent $5300 on that other system!

bear1973

Reaction score
Has anyone else tried the Sulfur Eliminator? I live in North Carolina and have the dreaded rotten-egg water smell. I've been managing it with bleach - a couple of cups every month. I've also set the heater to over 150 degrees a few times and shocked the hot water heater directly. But it keeps coming back and is getting worse. It's now in the cold water.

I'm planning on giving the Sulfur Eliminator a try - seems like there's not much to lose. But the last thing I need is for it to over-tax my new pump. I'll definitely review it here, but would like to hear from more folks who've actually used one before installing one myself. (Sorry, Heart0610 - your post sounds a little bit like an advertisement, even if you are just a satisfied customer.)

Thanks!

David Kaehler

Reaction score
Has anyone else tried the Sulfur Eliminator? I live in North Carolina and have the dreaded rotten-egg water smell. I've been managing it with bleach - a couple of cups every month. I've also set the heater to over 150 degrees a few times and shocked the hot water heater directly. But it keeps coming back and is getting worse. It's now in the cold water.

I'm planning on giving the Sulfur Eliminator a try - seems like there's not much to lose. But the last thing I need is for it to over-tax my new pump. I'll definitely review it here, but would like to hear from more folks who've actually used one before installing one myself. (Sorry, Heart0610 - your post sounds a little bit like an advertisement, even if you are just a satisfied customer.)

Thanks!
I did install the basic model on a 630ft well in New London NC (Near Badin Lake). The well sits idle for two to three weeks at a time, and when we first took showers, the sulfur smell was overwhelming. We put up with it for over 6 years when I came upon this device . Installation was simple and within 2 days the smell was gone. It's been 6 months and there has been no sulfur smell from the water. We did notice that the whole house carbon filter needed to be changed after about two months, and I suspect that was due to sediment from the top of the well casing being 'washed' into the water as the aerated water was sprayed back into the top of the well casing by the device. And I suspect I will have to change the filters more often until most of the sediment has been washed to the bottom of the well.
It's only been 6 months of experience, but thus far, the device works and there have not been any other issues other than the more frequent filter changes.

Jeremy Harris

Reaction score
I'm curious about the potential growth of iron bacteria if you put aerated water back down the well that others may or may not have seen.

Our well has an H2S problem so as an experiment I tried connecting a small air pump up and blowing air into the water in the well though a narrow pipe, a bit like aerating a fish tank, to see what would happen. I guessed that it would get rid of the H2S (if did, it worked really well at getting rid of the smell completely from the water). What I hadn't counted on was the massive and rapid growth of bright orange iron bacteria.

I noticed this when I pulled my thin air line up and found lumps of orange stuff stuck to it. I then decided to lift the pump up a bit and found that there was a section of the pump pipe, cable and safety line near the water level that had a thick build up of orange slime.

Now I've had this pump up in the past and never seen anything like this, so I have to conclude that it was related to aerating the water near the top of the well. My worry would be that the Sulfur Eliminator may well do the same if you have iron in the water. Judging by the speed with which the stuff grew in my well, I would think there is the potential there to get clogging over time.

I cleaned the orange stuff off with a scrubbing brush and shocked the well, washing chlorine down well over the affected area of pipe etc, in the hope that I've killed it off. I'm switching back to tank aeration and an iron filter to get rid of the H2S, as I'm just not 100% happy that aeration inside the well casing is good for the set up we have.

Be interesting to see if others have seen problems like this, especially as I'd like to get rid of the complication of the aeration and iron filter system.

Reaction score
i ran into one of these a few years back, or something very similar anyway. if nothing else, it definitely made the inside of the well and drop pipe disgusting. they say it wont make your pump run, but what happens when a well owner runs water from a faucet? the one i seen, the pump cycled every few minutes. dont think it would be too good for your csv systems valveman, unless you like the idea of 1 very long expensive cycle.

not saying its useless, but i wasnt impressed. well cant be sealed, right? would think it would need to breath to work, but i dont know. also, how about the snifter/micronizer setups you sometimes see just for light sulfur... you know when you tilt the old holding tank over and see what comes out of the bottom. looks like with this setup, all of that now accumulates inside the well.

Just Water,
I am the owner and the inventor of The Sulfur Eliminator. I am also a well contractor, have been for over 30years! First off your information on my product is incorrect and you need to make sure that you are talking about the correct product before you post negative information. The org post was posted in 2013 I didn't start selling The Sulfur Eliminator until late 2012 so a "few years ago" as you quoted from 2013 would not have been my product! Any well per any county in the United States must be sealed! If your well is not sealed it becomes contaminated. Leaving your well open to breathe will not get rid of Sulfur Bacteria. Also The Sulfur Eliminator was tested for over 6 months it only uses 1.5 gallons per hours. Which will cause the pump to kick on once every 9 hours. I also read where you stated The Sulfur Eliminator causes iron growth which is incorrect also. I'm not sure if you know how a well works but you only use the water from the bottom of your well never the water at the top so all of that water at the top sits and it stagnates which eventually turn into stagnated irons which eventually turn into sulfur bacteria. So when The Sulfur Eliminator is installed we are rotating your well over on a constant basis, so your well doesn't have time to sit and stagnate. We are putting fresh clean filter water back into the top of your well. I have many many happy customers and many great reviews and if anyone is interested in our product you may give our office a call at 336-685-0712.

Thank you
The Sulfur Eliminator

Reach4

Reaction score
Any well per any county in the United States must be sealed!
I think your use of the word sealed is not the normal usage. I think a vented well is not sealed, and most wells are vented. Maybe you mean grouted?

I am not a pro.

The aeration that you do makes good sense. However I am thinking that much of the oxidized iron will drop to the bottom. I have no guess as to how quickly the iron oxide would accumulate down there. An inch per year??? that would not be significant. Pumps are typically 20 ft or more from the bottom.

Reaction score
He's over in the misnamed water softener forum where this type post should have been moved to. That forum is a water quality improvement and equipment forum, it's not just for softeners. :)

I have watched the video and read all the info on the site. Unless the water spigot valve is adjusted, or there is a 1.5 gpHr flow control, either way the pump has to cycle.

To get water out of the well the pump (and that spigot) is getting water from the pump inlet, not the top of the water column.

The aeration caused by the falling water isn't going to aerate much H2S because H2S comes out of solution naturally when the water pressure falls and/or comes into contact with air (oxygen). So there will be little to no H2S in the water at the top of the water column and more the farther down the column you go.

In the south most wells larger than 2" are 4" and that equipment is taking water form the pump inlet and treating it at 1.5 gpHr over 24-48 hrs. IIRC a 4" well holds like 3/4 gallon per foot of water? A 6" is 1.47 gal/ft. So the pump has to cycle although they say it doesn't. Actually it's the same as a 1.5 gpHr leak back into the well. The usual pressure tank size and switch settings should cause the pump to cycle about every 4-6 hrs with no water use in the house.

IMO the thing shouldn't work well or at all with a rock bore well where the recovery water usually comes in from below the pump inlet. A screened well has screening above the pump inlet, so when the house uses water it gets treated water IF there has been sufficient time for a treatment being done at 1.5 gpHr to treat all the water above the pump inlet. A rock bore well should always have dissolved H2S (and its odor) still in the water no matter how long the 1.5 gpHr has been done between water uses in the house that does not pull the static water level down. But then... any pump is only moving water from the static water level in the well due to atmospheric pressure... So maybe it does allow treated water until the static water level stabilizes but... most of the treatment is being done naturally because of the pressure drop and air on top the water column.

I think it is sold by allowing use of it before the people pay for it so if it doesn't work, the person throws it away or returns it at their expense. And I doubt anyone is told how often that happens. I say that based on knowing what the materials to make the thing would cost me and what the purchase price is. The prices are quite high. But then they say they have a patten on something and they may not be making that part themselves. I would think they have a patten on the whole thing though.

The product may work for some people in the south but I have my doubts it would work well across the non freezing areas of the US. Or if it would work well or for very long with iron or any type of bacteria in the water.

It looks like the Deluxe model is using a GAC or carbon block filter cartridge. They don't remove soluble/dissolved iron, only rust, but then air oxidizes iron and that will be happening as their product adds air in the return line.. And there should be a bunch of rust buildup inside the casing at and above the water line and some falling down the water column to be sucked into the pump inlet when the pump runs.

Bottom line.... I wouldn't sell it or buy it. Especially for $400-$600 and without a spigot at the well.

Slusser,
My patented and (yes I do have a patent) product works great all of the country! It doesn't matter if you live in the south or north. You don't have a spigot you get one installed simple as that. Cover the well, the spigot and my product and your well will not freeze. Yes we do send this product out for free and I have to do that because of silly forums like this! Have I had a few returned sure! My product has a 95% success rate. As for the iron the filter was designed for The Sulfur Eliminator so it traps all and any kind of iron the well may have. My filter will last a year before you have to change it. The product is the cheapest thing on the market to take care of sulfur at the source which is the well itself. There are all kinds of "bandaids" out there that will bandaid sulfur but to fix it correctly it has to be taken care of at the well. I never sold you my product so I'm not sure just like the other guy how you can advise on something you've never purchased. The cost of the product is calculated on the following, custom filters, custom molds, materials, patents, advertising and employees. We offer a life warranty on the product and we stand behind our product that's why we send it the our customers for free.

The Sulfur Eliminator

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hello My Friend
You picked up a really old thread. I havn't heard from Gary Slusser in several years, hope he is still alive and kicking. :)

Try searching for sulfur eliminator and you will find it has been recommended here several times. Here is even a recent one where the guy came back and said how good it worked.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-to-residential-water-well.79245/#post-576598

I know how infuriating it can be for people to be posting about your product when they don't know how it works. I would be glad to help you clean these up and correct the information if you will tell me what is and isn't correct.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks