Fleck 5600SXT vs Fleck 7000SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Alright, I decided to make a separate thread for this so I could get some more feedback. Is there any reason I should get the Fleck 7000SXT over the Fleck 5600SXT if I have 3/4" pipes? Thanks for any and all info!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Technically no, but why not? The 7000 is available with 3/4" plumbing connectors, offers virtually no loss in flow due to its large ports, the meter is 1/2 the cost to repair/replace in the future, both are extremely simple to rebuild, and the 7000 is rated nema 4. The only real disadvantage is the physical size of the valve. It is larger, but the size is comparable to the old mechanical metered valves as I have shown in recent posts and pictures.

The 7000 also uses optical positioning instead of micrswitches. This is simpler and reduses parts. The drive train is also more durable, but this really only matters in commercial applications where the system will see daily regenerations. Residential applications, both valves will last for decades.

Either valve will last for many years and provide exceptional trouble free service. If you watch the video below, and go to my other videos, you will see me rebuild a 5000, that is very similar to the 5600 rebuild. As you can see, both valves are built to last and are very easy to rebuild when it becomes necessary in a decade.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Definitely helps, thank you! Makes sense to me. Appreciate you expounding further on your previous post.

Edit: even more info, sweet! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you aware of the recall of the 7000? Has Fleck started to ship them again?

I haven't heard about any recall, but then again, I know absolutely nothing about these things, haha. All I know is that almost all water softener selling websites are selling these. If there was a recall, I may just not get the 7000sxt. Who knows if websites are keeping track of recalled units. I dont feel like getting stuck with that mess.

Gilley7997

Reaction score
A couple of web sites mentioned that the 7000SXT units were on back order. The notes I saw were posted in late February. I'm not sure if the back-order has started to clear yet, or not.

Yeah, my order was one that was on hold for the 7000 issue. I did receive the unit last week. So I think the valves are being shipped again.

ditttohead

Reaction score
The 7000SXT valve was on hold for a much shorter time than expected, and the current lead time is excellent. All is good.

Reaction score
The 7000SXT valve was on hold for a much shorter time than expected, and the current lead time is excellent. All is good.

I'm not really sure what I should do at this point lol. The guy on the website told me based on the info I gave him the 5600 would be a better fit. Though I cant really see why besides the valve size, which is easily amended. Unless there's other stuff I dont know about, and he does. :p

ditttohead

Reaction score
Many people just assume that since the plumbing is 3/4", a 3/4" valve would be better. It really does not make a difference. It would not be a "better" fit. Both will perofrm very well. Both will last for decades with minimal service. A larger valve has no downside in this application other than physical space limitations.

Personally, I prefer the 7000, 2510, 5000, and the 6700XTR over the 5600SXT, but that is just coming from 26 years of actual field experience in primarily commercial and a lot of residential applications. The 7000 is basically bulletproof and has become a favorite among commercial users for its extrme capability.

ditttohead

Reaction score
So now they're changing it...

Not sure what that means.

Most of the commercial companies were using the 5600 for their light commercial systems. This worked, but they were not durable enough to meet theneeds of rental market. For rental systems, no service is the key to profitability. The 5600 in a heavy application was a great solution 20= years ago to get rid of the alternatives. Now the 7000, Clack WS1 are the predominant valves with our commercial customers for non alternating designs. These valves can be abused, and they keep on going.
All of the modern valves, WS1, 7000, 5800, etc. are always being tweaked a little for better performance, longer life, and lower cost. A Fleck bulletin just came out announcing an additional brace on the backside of the brine valve has been added to the mold. This brace appears to have no function, unless... Fleck is planning on doing a DC drive in the future on this valve. This would not surprise me as it would allow the valve to do some things that other valves cant. Fleck and Clack are always innovating.

Reaction score
I just got this in an email from a water softener vendor:

"Avoid the 7000 like the plague!!! 5600 great set-up for 3/4' or 1" lines. Great valve."

LOL.

Damnit.

Update: asked what's wrong with the 7000, and he said "Similar to the US Congress. Do you have pencil and paper ready."

This is great! :D

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Not sure what that means.
Yeah, I should have added a smiley or something at the end to show my tongue was in my cheek. I remember you or someone else mentioned that they were behind on 7000s because they had changed it and were just getting deliveries going. If I were buying a new valve today, it would almost certainly be a 7000.

...asked what's wrong with the 7000, and he said "Similar to the US Congress. Do you have pencil and paper ready."
I hope you had pencil and paper ready I'd love to know what he said
confused.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
lol, trust me, I wanted to say I have a pencil and paper ready but I thought he would think I'm being too big of an ass. I did ask what he meant, though. Wonder if he replies. I was literally getting ready to order one from another site when he emailed me and told me that. Wtf.

JohnnyO

Reaction score
lol, trust me, I wanted to say I have a pencil and paper ready but I thought he would think I'm being too big of an ass. I did ask what he meant, though. Wonder if he replies. I was literally getting ready to order one from another site when he emailed me and told me that. Wtf.

I'd have to believe it is human nature kicking in. Perhaps they had some customer issues (for whatever reason) over the last year. Perhaps they had some returns due to the recent recall. People shy away from that which they do not know. I'd query a few different vendors and see what they say. If they sell 95% 5600SXT, and 3-5% 7000SXT but have had issues with the 7000 recently, I can understand them being more comfortable with the 5600. They don't see the volume of 7000SXT units that Mr. Dittohead appears to see. Frankly, from what Dittohead has written, I'd be more inclined to trust his experience.

John

ditttohead

Reaction score
A few dealers hate the Clack, others hate the 5800, others hate Autotrol, and some hate the 7000 and many hate the 2510. It all comes down to personal experience. The 2510 used to break the main retainer all the time. From personal experience, the 5600SXT is a good valve, that is all I can say about it. It has a lot of weak spots, but in general, it is a good valve. I would not recommend it for commercial applications compared to other valves. The 7000 is a commercial duty valve, and it has far fewer problems than the 5600SXT. The number of problems with each is so minimal that we dont even care,. Like the WS1, it has a major problem with the buttons breaking when people take the covers off. But... that being said, it is the way people take the cover off, not just the valve design. The autotrol valve breaks all the time when the top plate is installed. All valves will have their detractors, and some companies, especially the online resellers who dont have the feild experience or sizing considerations that the actual field guys have to deal with will lean toward the simplest solution. When they are making no margins, and living day by day and always behind on their payments, they cant afford to take a phone call to help out the people they sell too. The cost some of these companies are selling the equipment for is ridiculous. The margins are way too low to maintain any kind of service. I try to recommend people buy from local companies, or online sellers that are not bragging about how they are the cheapest. This is one of the reasons why. They will larn one valve, one design, and thats what they will stick with too make their life easier and hopefully eak out a profit. Our best seller is still the old Fleck 5600 electromechanical system. it is more expensive, inefficient, antiquated, and people are simply comfortable with it. It is probably the only valve I never hear people say that they hate. Every valve we sell has some customer somewhere that hates it.
The number of problems with the 7000 are similar to the other valves, it is just that they have had a couple of these problems arise recently. The leak to the brine line, a few bad SXT boards a couple years ago, that can leave people with a bad taste. Fleck on the other hand has been very fast to respond and correct the problems. Compared to other companies, they have greatly exceeded our expectations for correcting issues.

Hope this is helpful.

Reaction score
Looks like ditto was probably right. Here's more from emails i got today: "That valve cost us thousands in returns and warranty loss." "Get this valve out of your head OK. They still have problems from 2009 that have not been addressed. You do not want one of these things." :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks