(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleck 5600SXT vs Fleck 7000SXT

DIY Senior Member amateurplumber1's Avatar

Default Fleck 5600SXT vs Fleck 7000SXT

Alright, I decided to make a separate thread for this so I could get some more feedback. Is there any reason I should get the Fleck 7000SXT over the Fleck 5600SXT if I have 3/4" pipes? Thanks for any and all info!

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Technically no, but why not? The 7000 is available with 3/4" plumbing connectors, offers virtually no loss in flow due to its large ports, the meter is 1/2 the cost to repair/replace in the future, both are extremely simple to rebuild, and the 7000 is rated nema 4. The only real disadvantage is the physical size of the valve. It is larger, but the size is comparable to the old mechanical metered valves as I have shown in recent posts and pictures.

The 7000 also uses optical positioning instead of micrswitches. This is simpler and reduses parts. The drive train is also more durable, but this really only matters in commercial applications where the system will see daily regenerations. Residential applications, both valves will last for decades.

Either valve will last for many years and provide exceptional trouble free service. If you watch the video below, and go to my other videos, you will see me rebuild a 5000, that is very similar to the 5600 rebuild. As you can see, both valves are built to last and are very easy to rebuild when it becomes necessary in a decade.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ditttohead; 03-27-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Definitely helps, thank you! Makes sense to me. Appreciate you expounding further on your previous post.

Edit: even more info, sweet! Thanks again!
    Last edited by amateurplumber1; 03-27-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Are you aware of the recall of the 7000? Has Fleck started to ship them again?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    Are you aware of the recall of the 7000? Has Fleck started to ship them again?
    I haven't heard about any recall, but then again, I know absolutely nothing about these things, haha. All I know is that almost all water softener selling websites are selling these. If there was a recall, I may just not get the 7000sxt. Who knows if websites are keeping track of recalled units. I dont feel like getting stuck with that mess.

Quote Originally Posted by amateurplumber1 View Post
    Who knows if websites are keeping track of recalled units.
    A couple of web sites mentioned that the 7000SXT units were on back order. The notes I saw were posted in late February. I'm not sure if the back-order has started to clear yet, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    A couple of web sites mentioned that the 7000SXT units were on back order. The notes I saw were posted in late February. I'm not sure if the back-order has started to clear yet, or not.
    Yeah, my order was one that was on hold for the 7000 issue. I did receive the unit last week. So I think the valves are being shipped again.

Blog Entries

The 7000SXT valve was on hold for a much shorter time than expected, and the current lead time is excellent. All is good.

Quote Originally Posted by ditttohead View Post
    The 7000SXT valve was on hold for a much shorter time than expected, and the current lead time is excellent. All is good.
    I'm not really sure what I should do at this point lol. The guy on the website told me based on the info I gave him the 5600 would be a better fit. Though I cant really see why besides the valve size, which is easily amended. Unless there's other stuff I dont know about, and he does. :P

Blog Entries

Many people just assume that since the plumbing is 3/4", a 3/4" valve would be better. It really does not make a difference. It would not be a "better" fit. Both will perofrm very well. Both will last for decades with minimal service. A larger valve has no downside in this application other than physical space limitations.

Personally, I prefer the 7000, 2510, 5000, and the 6700XTR over the 5600SXT, but that is just coming from 26 years of actual field experience in primarily commercial and a lot of residential applications. The 7000 is basically bulletproof and has become a favorite among commercial users for its extrme capability.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

The 7000 is basically bulletproof and has become a favorite among commercial users for its extrme capability.
    So now they're changing it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    So now they're changing it...
    Not sure what that means.

Most of the commercial companies were using the 5600 for their light commercial systems. This worked, but they were not durable enough to meet theneeds of rental market. For rental systems, no service is the key to profitability. The 5600 in a heavy application was a great solution 20= years ago to get rid of the alternatives. Now the 7000, Clack WS1 are the predominant valves with our commercial customers for non alternating designs. These valves can be abused, and they keep on going.
    All of the modern valves, WS1, 7000, 5800, etc. are always being tweaked a little for better performance, longer life, and lower cost. A Fleck bulletin just came out announcing an additional brace on the backside of the brine valve has been added to the mold. This brace appears to have no function, unless... Fleck is planning on doing a DC drive in the future on this valve. This would not surprise me as it would allow the valve to do some things that other valves cant. Fleck and Clack are always innovating.

I just got this in an email from a water softener vendor:

"Avoid the 7000 like the plague!!! 5600 great set-up for 3/4' or 1" lines. Great valve."

LOL.

Damnit.

Update: asked what's wrong with the 7000, and he said "Similar to the US Congress. Do you have pencil and paper ready."

This is great!
    Last edited by amateurplumber1; 03-29-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Not sure what that means.
    Yeah, I should have added a smiley or something at the end to show my tongue was in my cheek. I remember you or someone else mentioned that they were behind on 7000s because they had changed it and were just getting deliveries going. If I were buying a new valve today, it would almost certainly be a 7000.

Quote Originally Posted by amateurplumber1 View Post
    ...asked what's wrong with the 7000, and he said "Similar to the US Congress. Do you have pencil and paper ready."
    I hope you had pencil and paper ready I'd love to know what he said
    Last edited by Mikey; 03-29-2013 at 03:26 PM.

lol, trust me, I wanted to say I have a pencil and paper ready but I thought he would think I'm being too big of an ass. I did ask what he meant, though. Wonder if he replies. I was literally getting ready to order one from another site when he emailed me and told me that. Wtf.