New tub -- under 300 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
Because I have a Lowes charge, would like to buy there and because I'm working alone and it's tight fit, would like a plastic tub.

I've never owned one though and now leery because of some of these reviews --

http://www.lowes.com/pd_149726-7-71...urrentURL=?Ntt=bathtub+60+sterling&facetInfo=

Is Sterling a good name? This tub would be ideal for me.

Nice solid 3/4" floor 16 OC and plan on doing it right with mortar etc.

I've always had a steel tub -- can the acrylic ones actually crack or is that because of a poor installation you think?

THANKS.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I installed a 60" shower of the same brand and material. In a mortar base it feels solid. As long as it is properly installed and the recommended cleaning instructions are followed, it should be fine.
With that being said, for a tub, my preference will always be cast iron.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I installed one Sterling tub which was so flimsy, that an 8 year old boy could have lifted it. It was fortunate, however, because I had to put it in and out many times to get everything to fit, because they changed from a 60" depressed floor shower to a 60" tub

Mar3232

Reaction score
ok -- now I'm scared. better start thinking steel.

OR -- have been considering a concrete tub because my stud walls are 59" apart (no shoot) and I'd have to do something creative -- trying to avoid buying a 54" tub.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Steel tubs are worse in the long run, but you might consider the Americast. I would rebuild the wall before I would consider a tub less than 60". Hopefully you understand that the measurement is from stud to stud, not finished wall.

Mar3232

Reaction score
I have concrete block on one side (former garage) and a new stud wall (uncovered on bath side) I built 2 years ago on other side which gives 59" from stud to concrete. (didn't anticipate building the bath). So, figures I missed it by an inch. I thought of taking out the studs, which then would give about 62+ but from the outside drywall to the concrete block.

I thought I might build out with 3/4" cedar or something water proof and then do cement board and tile.

So, what is the favorite acrylic tub in this group? I saw a Maxx on craigslist that's a steal but probably sold (200 bucks for a 60 x 36) new. Need it 300 or less.