Homemade egg incubator help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Skunkworks101

Reaction score
I'm new here,sorry about that but I need electrical help. I don't know how many here know whats involved in incubating eggs until hatching but thats not a biggy. I can explain everything thats involved since I have been doing this for several years now.I have good mechanical ability-construction abilities to build an incubator the size that I want but I do not have the knowledge of exactly what types of electrical equipment is needed exactly to make this work.I currently own whats called a Brinsea 190 EX Ova Easy incubator that is 100% set it and forget it but it's now too small for me and to get the needed capacity I need for a lot lower price I know I can build one cheeper.

Most all know what an incubator does but I'm lost on how-what to buy to make it all work.The eggs must be turned 90 degrees in their trays several times each day.I plan to make 2-3 trays to hold the eggs in but then must add an electric motor that will rock these eggs back and forth.All the trays will be hooked together with a rod hooked to each on exactly the same and the electric motor will need a timer that can be set to turn these trays every couple hours.Once the trays are at the bottom of their travel in one direction,the electric motor needs to stop.After the say,3 hour interval the trays needs to be rotated the other direction and stopped.I've consider using toggle limit switches to stop the travel in both directions but do not know what type of timer to buy that can accomplish this.I also have no idea how to wire this all up.

Temprature and humidity must remain constant while the warm air is constantly being circulated through out the entire inside of the incubator.I've considered using whats called a ceramic cone heating element of about 350-400 watts for the size of box it will keep warm.I've read that a "proportional thermostat is needed so as the temp starts to rise the thermostat will slowly decrease the electricity to the heating element,thus eleminating fast over temps from whats desired.Humidity is controlled by a pan of water with warm air being blown across this source.If humidity is too high air vents can be adjusted,or covering more of the surface area of the water pan can be done.

Air circulation must be constant with most incubators having the blower fan or fans at the top of the incubator cabinet blowing air over the water pan with the heating element in the airflow as well.A simple pcv piping system along the outside wall of the incubator routed to the bottom floor of the incubator with air vents insures air will be drawn from bottom back up to the top.

I already have a small electric motor that is 9rpm,,which is still too fast but I can slow this down farther with a bigger pully on a second shaft. My connecting rod to the trays will come off this pulley to pull the trays up and down for rotation.I can attach something on the shaft or pully for the limit switches to come in contact to stop the movement.The electric motor I have is one direction only so the switches will need to allow the direction of movement to continue after the timer says it's time to rotate them again.There are so many types of switches I need to know exactly what kind it takes and how to wire them up.

Hooking a thermostat up to the ceramic thermal cone,or heat source is another obstacle.Some of you may know what a wafer thermostat is but newer digital thermostats with a probe are much more accurate with less variance in temps after set.

If any accomplished electrician here can work with me thru e-mail it would be easier and probably less embarrassing than coming here each time a new electrical obstacle happens,,which will be with ever element added.I have not yet constructed the box-cabinet that will become the incubator yet.But if I can source parts,then correspond back and forth on if they are the right type,and exactly how to wire this correctly it will make this headache much easier for me,,thanks for any help you can offer.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I did not see any ? In your post.

Exactly what do you need help with ?

Is your Motor DC ?

I would use a safety cutout so things do not overheat if something goes wrong. A GFCI should be used also.

Be careful playing with Electricity.

Have Fun

Skunkworks101

Reaction score
My motor is ac current. I need help with selecting the right kind of toggle-limit switches to stop and start the trays to rotate. These switches are different? Since my electric motor only runs-turns in one direction the switches will need to be correct to allow rotation again once the timer reaches the next turning interval.I need help selecting the correct timer for the turning intervals which will be about every 3 hours. I will need help completely wiring everything so it works correctly. I can get the specs off the electric motor later today.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The easy way to do it would be to use a Double Throw Adjustable Time Delay Relay, to control the motor using the N.C. Connections.

Set the relay time to the amount of time it takes to turn your eggs over.

Then you can control the relay with a regular 24 hour timer that has 1 hour increments.

If you could set the timing just right , and do not have a reversible motor then you would not need the limit switches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks