Broken bolt on cast iron toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

BackedUp

Reaction score
I was thinking it was fused to the flange after 60 years of corrosion, but you may be right. (It occurred to me after spraying the WD-40 that combining a highly flammable spray with highly flammable sewer gases may not have been the best idea.)

BackedUp

Reaction score
Flammable, not flames. That's why I read, at least: highly toxic and highly flammable.

BackedUp

Reaction score
I don't remember exactly where I saw it. I think it was one of the eHow articles on how to remove old closet bolts. There are lots of mentions of methane being present in sewer gases and that being a risk of combustion.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think it was one of the eHow articles

Well that explains it. An eHow article. Never in my entire lifetime has that ever happened. I can see how imaginary things like that are important to some people when they start writing articles.

At least something like "Don't run with sissors!" I can see happening.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Use a plumber's sealant on the toilet tank bolt seals for added leak protection. This practice will also extend the life of the seals.
eHow

Absolutely do not do this! That may make sense to someone making stuff up, but it's not correct.

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
Flammable, not flames. That's why I read, at least: highly toxic and highly flammable.
I watched a video from a plumbing supply company on how to replace a closet flange and not one of the many DIY types where they said to use a propane, etc. torch on the flange. I don't remember if this was to melt the lead chalk or burn off old wax.

I also didn't have room for the extra nuts on closet bolts.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks