Help finding product name and manufacturer for a newer "hidden" shower drain product

Users who are viewing this thread

Scooter B

Reaction score
I saw an article in our local paper a month or two ago about a newly introduced product line that created a kind of hidden shower drain. I researched it online and SWEAR that I bookmarked for later when I was ready to order one. Looked for the bookmark today and it is nowhere to be found. Grrrrrr. Spent thirty minutes Googling terms like hidden shower drain or grate and plumbing or shower hardware but came up with nothing related to the particular product I was looking for.

This product line consisted of a square metal frame that sat directly over the drain grate onto which you mounted a cut to size tile. Completely surrounding this tiled frame was a thin openeing (1/4" or so) where the water drained into an integrated catch pan that slid over the top of the drain pipe and drain grate. The surrounding tile also (I believe) butted up against a surrounding metal frame edge that protected the edges of the tile but sat just below the tiles edge. The center tiled frame attached to this substructure but could be removed to clean out the grate when needed or provide access to snake the pipe etc.

I'm not at all familiar with shower plumbing hardware manufacturer's other than ones who advertise on TV and sell in Lowes or Home Depot etc. This appeared to be a higher end product manufacturer (based on their prices and product lines) that I had not heard of before.

I was hoping some of you hear might have a clue about or experience with the product I am describing. I would most definitely be grateful for any help on this one.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Search for tile-in shower drain, and you'll come up with a bunch of options. Not having used one, I can't comment on what's best. Search this forum on tile-in shower drain and you'll find a few threads.

Scooter B

Reaction score
Search for tile-in shower drain, and you'll come up with a bunch of options. Not having used one, I can't comment on what's best. Search this forum on tile-in shower drain and you'll find a few threads.

Thanks Jadnashua,

Having the correct search term should help. I had not seen those before seeing that article in the Homes section of the local newspaper.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Were you looking for a linear drain or a point drain?

There are many to choose from.

ACO makes the best linear drain version in my opinion and would be the easiest of the linear tile insert drains to keep clean long term. The nicest point drain I've seen is from California Faucets.

http://www.calfaucets.com/category/luxury-drains/styledrain/styledrain-tile

I think this one is best in class in the point drains. We are installing a grilled version of this drain in Vancouver and the quality is impressive. Black Powder Coat Cast Iron rough in. Impressive.

We have experience "Air Locks" with these style drains (both point and linear!) so be careful which model you choose. Also try not to position the spray jets to land directly on the drain at start up. Keeping the drain clean of hair build up is critical to a well performing shower.

I'm still mocking up the new Laticrete drain for a flow test but this looks like a good inexpensive option. Schluter has a new one out as well in a point drain and they also have a linear option. I have not seen the newer Schluter version up close but will order one when they are available to me.

Scooter B

Reaction score
johnfrwhipple,

Dude! That is the EXACT one I was looking for! Way to go eh! (Yes I was in high school in the '80's LOL).

The StyleDrain by California Faucets.

For some reason however I thought the frame for these accepted a 10"x10" or 11" by 11" tile insert. I still want this styled drain either way. From the picture I saw I thought the cut tile insert and surrounding drain opening basically fit perfectly within one tile space. Other than the missing grout surrounding the tile it was virtually invisible. I see the inner frames are only 5 5/32 " x 5 5/32".

But yes that is exactly the product I had previously found in the paper and looked up on line.

1,000 blessings or kharma points to you my friend. Much personal frustration is now resolved :)

Scooter B

Reaction score
John,

1982 grad myself. Big fan of Second City Television, Saturday Night Live (up through the mid '80s anyway) and of course Bob and Doug Mackenzie. Recently became a fan of Murdoch Mysteries from Netflix but they only have seasons 1 & 2 so far. The only thing that slightly bugs me about Murdoch Mysteries is that Murdoch wears more eye liner than any of women in the show...reminds me of pretty boy 1980 pop bands. Okay enough off topic for now LOL.

Did you want close up pictures of just the drain hardware before installation or a picture of the drain installed and tiled?

Originally I had planned on doing the tiling myself but I am so far behind on everything else in my house, I'm now planning on using a tile guy my friend used on his custom built home. I have everything torn out of the old shower so it's ready for the shower floor and shower pan to go in first. I decided I may as well re-tile the floor as well as it's a small bathroom and I don't care for the current tile so I still need to scrape out the floor tile.

I still need to pick out the tile and bathroom colors before I will know for sure which finish I will want for the drain and shower panel. So it may be a few weeks before I order the drain, but I would be happy to send you any pics of the drain that you would like. I saved a document as a reminder on my desktop with your e-mail - just let me know which closeups you want.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks Scooter.

I would love to see pictures of all the pieces.

I think this Style Drain has a wide 3-4" mouth under the tile insert. This is the part I'm hoping to get a better picture of.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks