Securing copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
Seems like a simple problem, but I'm looking for a secure & professional way to secure these copper pipes. See pic. Copper water lines exiting water heater to the left are new. They must drop down to clear ducting as shown. They will run parallel about 6" away from stone basement wall behind them. Hanging from joists above doesn't seem secure. I'm thinking some kind of L brackets mounted to wall perhaps? I hate drilling into these stone walls though. Sometimes they just start crumbling. The wall has been dry locked so I can hardly tell the mortar from the stones. Suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 941

joemcl

In the Trades
Reaction score
4640.jpgH41VPd2FY18L.jpgYou can secure pipes to floor joists. You're best option would be copper clevis hangers, 3/8" allthread, and 3/8 floor and ceiling plate. We use these all the time. They are easily found, even in hardware store.

Last edited:

Jm66208

Reaction score
Good suggestion Joe. I am just kinda worried because the pipes will hang kinda out in space, and fairly low. How about doubling up the clevises and hanging in a "v" pattern?
hanger.jpg

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Metal or plastic strapping is perfectly adequate to support those pipes. If you are so concerned about them hanging low, you should have them follow the
contour of the ceiling and duct, where they can be more ridgidly supported. What's the deal, you got a "special" uncle who lives down in the basement who's
prone to swinging from the pipes when he gets excited?

Jm66208

Reaction score
Metal or plastic strapping is perfectly adequate to support those pipes. If you are so concerned about them hanging low, you should have them follow the
contour of the ceiling and duct, where they can be more ridgidly supported. What's the deal, you got a "special" uncle who lives down in the basement who's
prone to swinging from the pipes when he gets excited?

LOL...you never know. I can't follow the ceiling because there is more in the way than my drawing suggests.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Screw a couple of pieces of UniStrut channel to the bottom of the duct and clamp the copper tubing to them with isolators inside the clamps. OR use a 3/8" rod "floor plate" screwed to the joist, with a 2 piece "ring hanger" around the copper, and a section of 3/8" threaded rod between them.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks