(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: securing copper pipe

Default securing copper pipe

Seems like a simple problem, but I'm looking for a secure & professional way to secure these copper pipes. See pic. Copper water lines exiting water heater to the left are new. They must drop down to clear ducting as shown. They will run parallel about 6" away from stone basement wall behind them. Hanging from joists above doesn't seem secure. I'm thinking some kind of L brackets mounted to wall perhaps? I hate drilling into these stone walls though. Sometimes they just start crumbling. The wall has been dry locked so I can hardly tell the mortar from the stones. Suggestions? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  4640.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  61.9 KBHName:  41VPd2FY18L.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  16.6 KBYou can secure pipes to floor joists. You're best option would be copper clevis hangers, 3/8" allthread, and 3/8 floor and ceiling plate. We use these all the time. They are easily found, even in hardware store.
    Last edited by joemcl; 03-24-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Good suggestion Joe. I am just kinda worried because the pipes will hang kinda out in space, and fairly low. How about doubling up the clevises and hanging in a "v" pattern?
    Name:  hanger.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  10.2 KB

Metal or plastic strapping is perfectly adequate to support those pipes. If you are so concerned about them hanging low, you should have them follow the
    contour of the ceiling and duct, where they can be more ridgidly supported. What's the deal, you got a "special" uncle who lives down in the basement who's
    prone to swinging from the pipes when he gets excited?

Quote Originally Posted by kreemoweet View Post
    Metal or plastic strapping is perfectly adequate to support those pipes. If you are so concerned about them hanging low, you should have them follow the
    contour of the ceiling and duct, where they can be more ridgidly supported. What's the deal, you got a "special" uncle who lives down in the basement who's
    prone to swinging from the pipes when he gets excited?
    LOL...you never know. I can't follow the ceiling because there is more in the way than my drawing suggests.

Screw a couple of pieces of UniStrut channel to the bottom of the duct and clamp the copper tubing to them with isolators inside the clamps. OR use a 3/8" rod "floor plate" screwed to the joist, with a 2 piece "ring hanger" around the copper, and a section of 3/8" threaded rod between them.
    Last edited by hj; 03-25-2013 at 07:57 AM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber