(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Tile to Carpet Transition - A look at the best options for your home?

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Tile to Carpet Transition - A look at the best options for your home?

The other day I was showing some of my custom transitions to a client and nothing really spiked their interest. Typically we mill a custom hardwood transition and stain it or paint it depending on the room and the look of the home.

Sometimes we use a Schluter Profile.

Sometimes a metal cap.

What other options are there for this transition?

Last summer a client of mine took it upon himself to mill up a nice transition. He used oak and then a pickling stain I believe or some kind of white wash. Often we raise these floors when building barrier free showers. Here is a look at Roy's masterpiece....

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-26-2013 at 07:24 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    What other options are there for this transition?
    A strip of solid surface material suitably routed can work well. Solid stone makes a nice threshold too but harder to mill and requires more thickness.

Blog Entries

Default Transitions for tile - Solid Fir Flooring

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    A strip of solid surface material suitably routed can work well. Solid stone makes a nice threshold too but harder to mill and requires more thickness.
    I have always wanted to do this but never have. One of my top setters will make a custom transition out of slab but I have only seen him do this twice in 12 years. It might be worth a visit to the stone yards and pick up some off cuts one day!

This is my best transition to date. I made it out of the flooring scraps . Not really a carpet to tile transition but you get the idea.

JW

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Nice work but my concern with that one is the trip hazard. For that reason, I would want the transition to contrast a little more to catch the eye rather than catch the foot.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

With tile to carpet, there's at least one company than makes ramps designed to be installed underneath the carpeting to ease the transition. You could make them yourself, but to be 'seamless' it should have a slope in the order of 1:10...so, it depends on how much height difference you have to accommodate, and a moderately long ramp is harder to make. Cedar shingles under the carpet, done right, and you may never notice the ramp at all, but the commercially available ones are longer.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Blog Entries

Default Carpet to Tile Transition - How to information

Jim I used some cedar shingles under my daughters carpet entering the kids bathroom. I would think cheating this elevation more than a 1/4" is hard.

I was wondering if any stone suppliers have figured this out. I would like to see some solid surface material that perhaps has a two step profile. Something that just is not in one plane.

JW

Blog Entries

Default Carpet to tile transition - How I design them

This is our latest barrier free bathroom and in designing the floor system we ended raising the bathroom tile a good inch and a quarter. We milled this transition out of solid fir and primed and painted it. The transition meets the tile at the center of the door location and has a silicone (colour match) and not grout between it and the tile.

Something like this is such a nice improvement over the ready made $7.00 metal strips that are so commonly sold at budget box store retailers.

Of course this shower is not fully accessible since the transition's grade or slope is far to steep. When the need arises down the road this transition could be swapped out with a little effort. Right now it looks great a suits the 30 year old couple nicely.

JW
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-26-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Standard Carpet to tile Transition - Metal Piece (Aluminum Brushed Finish)

These little transitions cost only about $8.00 for a 36" piece. I find that they look much better if you balance the screw hole locations in the doorway.

These means you need to make two cuts (one on each side) instead of just one - but the effort is worth it.

Surely there is a better supplier of this type of transition out there? Any ideas??? JW

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I had the granite fabricator use some scraps from my vanity top to make a transition piece. I think he charged about $45, all in labor (since they would have thrown the scraps away anyway), to shape and polish them. They are about 6" or so and they used most of that depth to make a rounded taper. It also ties the bits together as I used the same granite in tile form in the shower. Now, I wish I'd used a different tile on the floor - it looks great in sunlight, but that room doesn't get much...maybe change that sometime in the future...inertia has it just staying there!
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014