Critters in the waste pipe - coming in from where?

Users who are viewing this thread

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I'm replacing a sink in a bathroom. A few days ago, I removed the old sink and stuffed a rag in the waste pipe while I gathered parts.

Last night, I was doing a dry fit, so I removed the rag and something caught my eye. There was a large blockage in the waste pipe. I grabbed a flashlight and took a closer look. I still wasn't sure of what I was looking at but thought it might be the head of a snake. I had a buddy come over to have a look and he thought it looked like the backside of a frog.

We emptied my shop-vac and sucked it out. I felt it pass through the vacuum hose. Once outside, we opened the vacuum and found nothing! The hose felt empty and we couldn't see anything inside of it, but it had to be in there. So, we hooked the hose to the other side of vacuum and out popped the obstruction pictured below.

This home is in FL. To my understanding, it could only have come in through a vent on the roof or up through the main waste line exiting the house.

I will get on the roof and install some kind of mesh cap on the vents but just curious to hear other thoughts.

Thanks.

Tipsy

Frog.jpg

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Kudos for saving the little feller's life. In these parts we cannot use a screen cuz it would frost over and plug up.

One time I had to open the cleanout and pour water down the vent to flush out a bird. The scratching noise it was making inside the pipe was very disconcerting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks