Hydro Pneumatic to CSV setup

Users who are viewing this thread

joshfish

Reaction score
Hope you're still there LLigetfa, you're my on call expert for the weekend.

I have the pump up 15' and this is what ive got

would this be the bleeder? Should I try replacing that with a plug? The entire length of the drop pipe is 1.25" steel and its getting close to over my head without a mechanical hoist and / or an extra set of hands.

Many thanks again for all the help! If you're ever in the Seattle / Tacoma area, drinks are on me.

Last edited by a moderator:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Yes, that is the bleeder. You could unscrew it from the Tee and put a plug in its stead or you could replace the Tee with a checkvalve or a coupler.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Oh, and clean up those threads and cover them up with good quality electrical tape. While the pipe itself is galvanized, the coating is removed by the cutting of the threads and will eventually rust all the way through.

joshfish

Reaction score
Im throwing in the towel.

While loosening the first section of pipe one of my wrenches lost its bite and down the well it went. Im defeated, humbled and downright pissed off. No water till monday :(

thanks for the help today, it sure was a fun learning experience. Im going to have the pro's come out and pull the entire thing. Maybe if im lucky they can retrieve my 18" 90deg pipe wrench.

While the well company is here is there anything else I should just do and get over with? New well seal? wrap the threaded fittings with tape?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope that wrench doesn't jam in place and prevent the pump from being pulled.

Kind of late for the advice, but what I do is to tie a rope through the end of the wrenches so they cannot go down the hole. Also, I put a wood block clamp on the pipe and it covers the well opening.

wood-clamp-424.jpg

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would NEVER try to hold that much weight with a wood clamp. If it slips and the pipe drops in the hole you are screwed royally. Besides, working by yourself how would you hold the pipe and tighten the damn thing?

Better off to call a pump company who has the RIGHT equipment when it comes to working with steel pipe. A patient guy with a hoist truck will probably get that pump and pipe out.

When you get that pipe out, hang the pump on either sch 80 PVC or 200 psi poly. Throw the steel pipe out, it won't be long before it gets holes in it and you're doing this again.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would NEVER try to hold that much weight with a wood clamp...

The OP has only a 40 foot deep well. How heavy can it be? Given that his checkvalve is not holding, the pipe isn't even full of water.

I've tripped out 60 feet of pipe with an auger on the end loaded with clay using such a clamp. I set it under a coupling and there is no way that a coupling can tear through the hardwood clamp given the weight that a person could lift.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Besides, working by yourself how would you hold the pipe and tighten the damn thing?

I set a wooden sawhorse next to the well and tie off my safety lines to it. I also rest the handle of the pipe wrench on the sawhorse to free up both hands to turn the clamp. I choke up on the clamp so that the pipe touches the inside threaded rod and then I screw the outside rod to close the clamp. When tightened, the open end of the clamp is closer together than the pipe's OD so it cannot possibly slip off.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I didn't see any safety lines in his pic...

Inexperienced people have gotten hurt doing easier tasks than pulling steel pipe by hand, even 40' of 1.25 steel has a lot of weight when suspended over a well. How do you expect him to unscrew 21' foot lengths of pipe?

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean it's a good idea or does it mean anyone can do it.....

joshfish

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I was using a confined space retrieval tripod with my come-a-long hooked to it. the tripod has a working limit of around 1200lbs and the drop pipe was hitched to the come-a-long and a second safety lanyard hitched to the pipe back up to an additional eye bolt in the top of the tripod. Every 3 feet of the come-a-long I would move the hitches down one at a time. I was using 2000# test poly pull line to hitch it.

Im new, but not that new.

joshfish

Reaction score
well guy came out today and pulled the pump,

we replaced the check valve at the pump, the galv drop pipe and the well cap. New drop pipe is sch120 pvc with ss fittings.

the wrench however, rest in peace.

ill finally get to that leaky tank tomorrow!

thanks to all for the advice! Next time I decide to pull this thing ill drive one of the bucket trucks home from work.

joshfish

Reaction score
In the end, my at home classroom with you folks only cost me my favorite pipe wrench. Fiddling with it myself didnt cause any further cost to the system. I am not out any cash, only 2 days without the pump. I was able to fill my 80 gallon pressure tank and keep 30psi or so in it for toilet flushing, hand washing etc while I worked on it.

To have a tech do it was $450 out the door,

35' sch120 PVC
1 - 6" well cap
1 - 1.25" cv
service call and 1 hour labor

I am happy to get all the galvanized out of the system from the pump to the tank. Next year I plan on starting my re-pipe of the house as it is also all galv. I have really enjoyed the last 3 weeks learning about wells and pumps, especially this weekend.

joshfish

Reaction score
30 connections and the only one leaking is that 1" union. I kept fiddling with it, making small adjustments, its about as close as I can get it. It leaks about 1 drop per 2 min or so. Ill give it a day and try it again. So far I really enjoy its operation.

The old tank was a mess and hidden inside was one of the many AVC floats from gosh knows when that had broken off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take your union apart and put a little Rector Seal on the faces then put it back together. Most of the time that will take care of a slight drip.

The male side of the union should always be pointing in the direction of the flow.

Last edited:

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
Tap on the union a little with a small hammer all the way around it. many times that alone will make it stop.

joshfish

Reaction score
It just occurred to me that it has been two years since my csv install, I felt obligated to update.

The system has operated flawlessly with no issues. Consistent shower head pressure has been a blessing.

After the install I noted a leaky union, after some pointers from folks here some sealant on the face and a few raps with a small hammer seated the fitting. Otherwise every thing went together well, the pside kick package was perfect.

Here in western WA we are beginning an unusually dry summer. We have been able to run two hose bibs / sprinklers and the shower simultaneously with no problem. Although we do notice a slight loss of volume when 3 faucets are open.

Overall, I would recommend the setup without question. I have yet to get to the re pipe I have been planning as other things just get in the way. But when I do get to the repipe I also wouldn't mind installing a larger pump and possibly a filtration / purification sysyem. When I get to that point you can count on seeing me here ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks