(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydro Pneumatic to CSV setup

at this very moment im in the middle of this project.

so far I have pulled the upper check valve and replaced it with straight pipe. Tightened everything down, turned on the pump, listened to burp of air through the system. The line will not remain pressurized, losing pressure immediately after cut out. Bad checkvalve in the pump!? How should I proceed!?

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Pull the pump and install a checkvalve on the outlet of it. If you don't want to pull it all the way out, lift it high enough to remove the bleeder and install the checkvalve in its stead.

ohhhh thanks heavens, I knew you would be here!

I want to do it right, its my own well and would rather curse the well silly today than cut a corner and curse myself later.

Would pulling the pump (its only at 40' per past work orders) and installing a new check valve on top of the pump hold sufficiently? Ill also remove the snifter while im in there.

To do it right, I would use brass or SS and install it on the pump outlet. Best to match the type of metal, so if the pump outlet is SS, use SS.

Installing it at the top, under the pitless is not a mortal sin. If ever there was a leak in the line, there is no possibility of contaminated ground water getting in but a leak could go undetected causing the pump to run constantly. If ever that were to happen, it can heat the water hot enough that if you have a PVC well casing, the casing could collapse.

Ive got the cap loose, and hoisted up about 36". First 10' is 1.25" steel, im doing this by myself and I dont know how im going to get it back in.

The well casing is steel as well, 6"

Hope you're still there LLigetfa, you're my on call expert for the weekend.

I have the pump up 15' and this is what ive got

would this be the bleeder? Should I try replacing that with a plug? The entire length of the drop pipe is 1.25" steel and its getting close to over my head without a mechanical hoist and / or an extra set of hands.

Many thanks again for all the help! If you're ever in the Seattle / Tacoma area, drinks are on me.

Yes, that is the bleeder. You could unscrew it from the Tee and put a plug in its stead or you could replace the Tee with a checkvalve or a coupler.

Oh, and clean up those threads and cover them up with good quality electrical tape. While the pipe itself is galvanized, the coating is removed by the cutting of the threads and will eventually rust all the way through.

Im throwing in the towel.

While loosening the first section of pipe one of my wrenches lost its bite and down the well it went. Im defeated, humbled and downright pissed off. No water till monday

thanks for the help today, it sure was a fun learning experience. Im going to have the pro's come out and pull the entire thing. Maybe if im lucky they can retrieve my 18" 90deg pipe wrench.

While the well company is here is there anything else I should just do and get over with? New well seal? wrap the threaded fittings with tape?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope that wrench doesn't jam in place and prevent the pump from being pulled.

Kind of late for the advice, but what I do is to tie a rope through the end of the wrenches so they cannot go down the hole. Also, I put a wood block clamp on the pipe and it covers the well opening.

That wrench could wedge itself between the pump and casing. Bad, bad news. You might not ever get that pump out. Good luck.

I would NEVER try to hold that much weight with a wood clamp. If it slips and the pipe drops in the hole you are screwed royally. Besides, working by yourself how would you hold the pipe and tighten the damn thing?

Better off to call a pump company who has the RIGHT equipment when it comes to working with steel pipe. A patient guy with a hoist truck will probably get that pump and pipe out.

When you get that pipe out, hang the pump on either sch 80 PVC or 200 psi poly. Throw the steel pipe out, it won't be long before it gets holes in it and you're doing this again.

Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    I would NEVER try to hold that much weight with a wood clamp...
    The OP has only a 40 foot deep well. How heavy can it be? Given that his checkvalve is not holding, the pipe isn't even full of water.

I've tripped out 60 feet of pipe with an auger on the end loaded with clay using such a clamp. I set it under a coupling and there is no way that a coupling can tear through the hardwood clamp given the weight that a person could lift.

Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    Besides, working by yourself how would you hold the pipe and tighten the damn thing?
    I set a wooden sawhorse next to the well and tie off my safety lines to it. I also rest the handle of the pipe wrench on the sawhorse to free up both hands to turn the clamp. I choke up on the clamp so that the pipe touches the inside threaded rod and then I screw the outside rod to close the clamp. When tightened, the open end of the clamp is closer together than the pipe's OD so it cannot possibly slip off.

I didn't see any safety lines in his pic...

Inexperienced people have gotten hurt doing easier tasks than pulling steel pipe by hand, even 40' of 1.25 steel has a lot of weight when suspended over a well. How do you expect him to unscrew 21' foot lengths of pipe?

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean it's a good idea or does it mean anyone can do it.....