Standard procedure for mounting pedestal sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
My mother wants to re-home our old pedestal sink to her place.

Its in my yard with the two pieces separate currently.

When I removed it from our house, there were two toggle bolts holding the basin part against the wall, and the pedestal part was holding it "up". If i had removed the pedestal part by itself, I'm pretty sure the basin part would have ripped right out of the wall.

Is that how its supposed to be? How should I re-install it in her place?

(It will be replacing that '60's Kolher sink you guys helped me with previously)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pedestal sinks almost never hang on the wall. They NEED the pedestal, unless it is a sink where the pedestal can be an afterthought, which I doubt yours is. You install the pedestal, then set the sink on it and fasten it to the wall.

ckl111

Home Builder
Reaction score
After everything has been aligned and tightened up top, I usually put a little bit of silicone between the floor and the back of the pedestal to hold it in place.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! This forum is petty great in that we DIY can get this info.

My mother called off the project, but now I know for next time I have to put in a pedestal sink :-D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks