How to remove bowl with rusted bolts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bratan

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove old toilet bowl (lower part) from the floor but two bolts/nuts are rusted and turn freely (both bolt and nut) :confused:
How do I remove it? It doesn't go high enough for me to use hacksaw or dremel. I'm thinking of just breaking ceramic parts of the toilet near those bolts, but afraid whole bowl might crack. I will throw it out anyway...
Here's picture of the nut. toilet_nut.jpg
Would love any advise! :)

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If you break it there will be no way to reset it. Haven't seen one yet that I couldn't get a hacksaw blade under.

John

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I would think that you could clean that schmutz away from the nut and hacksaw or dremel through both. Also, why not Dremel the nut vertically, in two locations then just peel it back off the screw? I have done that more than once.

If you are going to dispose of the toilet bowl anyway, just hit the china with a hammer right next to the bolt. It most likely will not crack the bowl above, just the area around the bolt. However, it wouldn't hurt to plunge out the preponderance of what's in the bowl beforehand, just in case.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can saw the nut on the top side and then split it off. Most people assume it has to be cut horizontal to the floor. You can also cut down on the nut from the top.

Or if you don't mind scratching the porceling, a sawzall and lean into it.
Or if the bowl is toast anyway, you can tap out the porcelain around the bolt with a hammer. (eye protection) You will have sharp glass edges that can slice, so be careful with any broken porcelain.

Bratan

Reaction score
Thank you Terry and all! :) I used hacksaw at 45 degree angle and was able to remove both bolts (took me about 40 minutes of sawing hammering and bending) :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hope there was a lesson learned here. Next time, use brass or stainless steel flange nuts, washers, and bolts.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's why we lock them down at the flange. I buy bolt sets with four washers and nuts.
The home centers don't sell them that way, but it's how the plumbers buy them.

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
I used an oscillating tool on mine since I was replacing the toilet anyway.

Bratan

Reaction score
That's why we lock them down at the flange. I buy bolt sets with four washers and nuts.
The home centers don't sell them that way, but it's how the plumbers buy them.
That's a good idea! I will probably install it like that, flange is a little banged up...
Hope there was a lesson learned here. Next time, use brass or stainless steel flange nuts, washers, and bolts.
Yeah for whoever built this house in 1970 :) I only lived here for 5 years, and every time I do something I find nasty surprises :) Like double linoleum with tar sandwiched between layers :rolleyes:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That's a good idea! I will probably install it like that, flange is a little banged up...

Yeah for whoever built this house in 1970 :) I only lived here for 5 years, and every time I do something I find nasty surprises :) Like double linoleum with tar sandwiched between layers :rolleyes:

The tar is, tar paper which was common practice when the linoleum was put in.
John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks