(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Brine tank size

DIY Senior Member amateurplumber1's Avatar

Default Brine tank size

This may seem like a weird question, but shouldnt all 18x33" tanks hold the same amount of salt?

So far, just looking around, one website i can buy from has the capacity listed as 375 lbs, another website has the capacity listed as 325 lbs, and another site has the capacity listed as 240 lbs. I would think the largest one would be the best, but I have no experience with these things so I'll defer to you. Any reason for the discrepancy?

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Some are round, some are square, some have a taper.

DIY Senior Member amateurplumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    Some are round, some are square, some have a taper.
    All of the ones I'm talking about are round, though. 135 lb difference between most and least is surely not just a taper?

I suggest that you don't fill any size/shape salt tank because eventually you will forget to check the salt level and run out. When that happens you must regenerate numerous times with whatever your salt dose is or, increase the salt dose to 15 lbs/cuft of resin and do two manual regenerations with no water use during or between them and the set the dose back to what it was. If you run low or out and don't do those regenerations, your resin will never be fully regenerated from then on.

So a better way is to buy like 5-6 bags and add 1 or 2 bags to the tank leaving a couple spare bags next to the softener. Then check the level each week and add as needed. That way you will see if there is too much water in the salt tank, meaning there is a problem and you'll usually prevent bridging.

An 18" x 33" round that doesn't have a safety brine well etc. will allow filling all but to the rim, with a safety brine system, only up to the elbow overflow that holds the well in the tank so it will hold less salt. And then the type of brine pick up tube or a salt grid could change the volume too.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.