Copper to pex without soldering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I thought it wasnt possible to go from copper to pex without soldering, except my brother redid our basement so he could live there for a while and he definitely showed me a couple areas where it looks like he installed a connector (and in another area where he did a valve i think) that goes from copper to pex. I have a picture where you can kinda see what im talking about http://i.imgur.com/7u3H4ND.jpg. Whats this all about?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are at least two companies that make push-on connectors. These seal with an internal o-ring(s) and use teeth to hold it onto the pipe. One brand is Sharkbite and I think the one you have is made by Watts. This is possible because the OD of each is the same. On the pex side, it also has a sleeve that goes inside to hold it snug, keep it round, so the o-ring can seal and the grippers can hold it in place. At least on the Sharkbite (don't know about the Watts), these are approved and pass codes. On a production basis, it's unlikely they'd be used because of their cost, but are much cheaper than hiring a pro to make that one connection.

Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the information! It may be a good way to go for a little project i've got since we have a bunch of spare pex laying around. Are these connections reliable?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They meet all plumbing code requirements. Should last a long time. A soldered connection is a known, long term, reliable connection. These haven't been around all that long for long-term experience. But, they have passed all tests.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is either a John Guest fitting or one similar to it. They are fairly reliable, but I have known them to "come off" under the right/wrong conditions. They make one version, not that one however, which have a "locking" ring as a secondary protection against failure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks