Pressure relief valve to reduce pipe bursting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mliu

Reaction score
The key words are, "IF IT WORKS", and I cannot see HOW it would work, unless you turned on the faucet, because it installs AFTER the shut off portion, and even then there is NOTHING that would stop the water IN the valve from freezing..
From a quick glance at the site, I believe you are supposed to leave the spigot open after installing this device. It's thermostatically operated (like a tempering valve) to open at 5 degrees above freezing to flush out the cold water. The device closes again when the spigot fills with warmer water. This process of wait then flush/fill repeats as long as the outside temp is below 37 degrees.

While this will save water compared to leaving your spigot dripping/dribbling, it's still wasteful. But if you need an outdoor spigot to be operational throughout the winter, I suppose it's not a bad idea.

beolson25

Reaction score
From a quick glance at the site, I believe you are supposed to leave the spigot open after installing this device. It's thermostatically operated (like a tempering valve) to open at 5 degrees above freezing to flush out the cold water. The device closes again when the spigot fills with warmer water. This process of wait then flush/fill repeats as long as the outside temp is below 37 degrees.

While this will save water compared to leaving your spigot dripping/dribbling, it's still wasteful. But if you need an outdoor spigot to be operational throughout the winter, I suppose it's not a bad idea.

I think the idea is to not only protect the spigot outside but any pipes that lead to it as well. Obviously the usefulness depends on how the pipes are run throughout the home. Still a pretty neat way to "drip the faucet" automatically with much less waste.

My $.02. thanks for your response.

beolson25

Reaction score
The key words are, "IF IT WORKS", and I cannot see HOW it would work, unless you turned on the faucet, because it installs AFTER the shut off portion, and even then there is NOTHING that would stop the water IN the valve from freezing..

You do turn on the faucet. The idea is that it drips when it is cold and seals when it is not. Thanks for the feedback. I bought it. It may be snake oil but it makes logical sense to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks