American Standard transfer or diverter valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

dvddiva

Reaction score
Hi,I'm so-o-o confused!!! I wanted to install 3 lever handle tub and shower faucets. I found the trim kit for the
Single handle on/off volume control. ( American Standard #555.700.002)It said that the rough in valve for this
Is AS R701. I thought,buy two and I will have hot and cold sorted out.All I needed now was the middle handle
For some kind of diverter or transfer of water to the shower head and to the tub spout. I then found an AS
Diverter trim kit( #555.430.002) with the rough in valve AS (#R420).At this point I thought I was doing really
Well. NOT!!! I took a look at the pictures of the rough in valve( R420) and only saw two holes.What's going on
I thought to myself.I need 4 hole openings.1 for hot,1for cold,1for the shower and 1for the spout.
After a 45 min. call to AS I was told that what I wanted to do couldn't be done because they no longer make
3 handle tub and shower faucets in the style that I wanted.( AS Town Square) She said why don't I make life
Simple and just buy AS Town Square bath and shower trim kit ( 555.522.002) and the accompanied AS rough
In valve ( r120).I noticed that the r120 had 4 holes and asked couldn't I use that as the diverter or transfer
Valve? NO!!! I figured I was stuck with a single lever all controlling unit.
I just can't believe that it can't be done using the Town Square style that I want.Just for further info.the AS
Shower head is (#8888.077.002) and the spout with diverter knob on it is (#8888.088.002) and without is
( #8888.089.002).The pipes in my house 1/2 ".Can anybody help?I simply prefer the look of 3 handles.

as-r120-trims.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You CAN use the 420, BUT, you have to connect the discharge from the hot and cold valves together into a "T" first. THEN from the T you run a pipe into the "single" inlet to the diverter. From the diverter's two outlets you run to the spout and shower head. It can get somewhat cumbersome as far as the piping is concerned if you want all three handles in a straight line, and you may have to use an 11" c/c spacing to give enough room for it. You do NOT use the spout with the diverter knob.

Last edited:

dvddiva

Reaction score
Thank you for the info.it is greatly appreciated.I looked behind the wall of my current set up and found that the 3 taps
are all lined up and set into a single holder for all 3.It seems quite straight forward.Unfortunately I can't use the set up
because somebody changed the piping from 1/2 " to 3/4 "half way up the piping to the three way holder.
Would not keeping the levers all in a row make it easier to install?What is meant by an 11" c/c spacing.I don"t understand
the terminology.
Again thank you for any help you can give.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
11" between the hot and cold handles in order to have room for the fittings needed between them to combing the piping. You cannot have all three handles in a row without making some serious offsets in the piping to make it work.

dvddiva

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.guys.I just found out that American Standard makes an R430 diverter valve.It has 3 openings.
Wouldn't that solve my problem?
If it does,it will make my day.
ANY help on this would really be great !!!
Thank You

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks