(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Copper to pex without soldering?

DIY Senior Member amateurplumber1's Avatar

Default Copper to pex without soldering?

I thought it wasnt possible to go from copper to pex without soldering, except my brother redid our basement so he could live there for a while and he definitely showed me a couple areas where it looks like he installed a connector (and in another area where he did a valve i think) that goes from copper to pex. I have a picture where you can kinda see what im talking about http://i.imgur.com/7u3H4ND.jpg. Whats this all about?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There are at least two companies that make push-on connectors. These seal with an internal o-ring(s) and use teeth to hold it onto the pipe. One brand is Sharkbite and I think the one you have is made by Watts. This is possible because the OD of each is the same. On the pex side, it also has a sleeve that goes inside to hold it snug, keep it round, so the o-ring can seal and the grippers can hold it in place. At least on the Sharkbite (don't know about the Watts), these are approved and pass codes. On a production basis, it's unlikely they'd be used because of their cost, but are much cheaper than hiring a pro to make that one connection.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Senior Member amateurplumber1's Avatar

Ah, thanks for the information! It may be a good way to go for a little project i've got since we have a bunch of spare pex laying around. Are these connections reliable?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

They meet all plumbing code requirements. Should last a long time. A soldered connection is a known, long term, reliable connection. These haven't been around all that long for long-term experience. But, they have passed all tests.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

That is either a John Guest fitting or one similar to it. They are fairly reliable, but I have known them to "come off" under the right/wrong conditions. They make one version, not that one however, which have a "locking" ring as a secondary protection against failure.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber