(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laticrete thinsets

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Laticrete Thinsets - 255 and 254 with Strata Mat or Ditra

Quote Originally Posted by SH140 View Post
    Almost time to stick some tile to the walls and was wondering..........If you have a niche? (recess), do you guys tile the recess first, or after, tiling the wall?

Also, at some point in the future, I'll be tiling a floor. I've already purchased a few bags of Laticrete 255. Can, or should, I use this for between Ditra and tile, and between plywood and Ditra?

Thanks.

What size is the tile you are installing? I love 254 and it is one of our favourites - Schluter wants you to use a non-modifed thin-set over Ditra to play by the book. Over Ditra when we want a modified thin-set we have been specify S14 or X32 from Ardex - these are self curing thin sets. Setting Ditra to plywood 255 is great since it is a top quality modified thin-set.

I set a brick to Ditra with 254 Platinum and the Ditra to the plywood mock up with the same. I hung over 1600 pounds of water from this test. The larger the tile the longer it will take to fully cure underneath. So pick your thin-set based on the time line you are working with - or swap out Ditra for Strata Mat.

Have you seen Laticrete's Strata-Mat? It is perforated and allows for modified thin-sets to be used over it. Strata Mat is an uncoupling membrane.

As for the niche how have you designed the tile layout. We like the tile to wrap into the niche so most times we size the niche a little larger and adjust the size once we tile to this point. We have worked from the niche out before so anyway you tackle this you should be fine.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

I'll be using 12" x 12" tile. And I bought a roll of Ditra months ago, so I guess I'll have to find some un-modified thinset somewhere. I had a bag of 317, but it was 2 years out-of-date and had to return it. I guess the Laticrete un-modified just isn't a big seller around here. Are there any other brands that are good that I should look out for?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

As noted (you should read the Ditra installation manual), you must use a modified to hold the Ditra to the subflooring, but tests have shown that a modified underneath a dense tile like porcelain over Ditra when set with a modified mortar had not dried after 60-days! That's when they stopped checking. Except for thinsets with hydraulic cement (quick-setting mortars), for full strength, a modified must both DRY and cure. The cement will cure, but it doesn't attain the full cohesive mixture strength until the modifiers dry out. Until that happens, applying pressure can allow the tile to move and possibly break the bond. An unmodified will cure just fine, and is plenty strong enough. A tile supply store may stock Ditraset, and if not, they can order it for you. Each manufacturer makes a premium dryset (unmodified), so it can be ordered. Because it is heavy, if you can wait for it to come with the supplier's stock order, rather than a special order shipped just for you, you may not need to pay additional shipping charges. DitraSet is made by Bostix for and to Schluter's specifications...a place that stocks Bostix thinsets either has or can obtain it. You can order it on Amazon, but the shipping costs more than double the costs! You do not want an entry level unmodified - their texture is coarse and it has just barely enough cement to qualify as a thinset! Look for something called a premium dryset from your preferred supplier. FWIW, any waterproof membrane will have similar problems whether they admit it or not...a modified thinset needs to dry and cure and it only has the grout joints to do that. Until that happens, the mortar is not providing the specified strength. Schluter wants your install to ALWAYS work, and that's why they tested and only recommend an unmodified between their waterproof membrane and (nearly) waterproof tile - to allow it to cure properly in a timely fashion, so your install is 100% every time. There is no magic that allows other waterproof membranes to allow the mortar to dry.
    Last edited by jadnashua; 07-05-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I made a few calls today and found a place 1/2 mile from where I work that had Laticrete 317, AND it was on sale. Hoo-ray !!! So I stopped on the way home and got a couple bags. The tiling starts tomorrow (hopefully)...

Thanks for the feedback

Blog Entries

Default Where to purchase Laticrete Thin-sets in Vancouver - B.C.

I received an email last night from a couple looking to purchase Laticrete thin-sets. I do not sell Laticrete thin-sets, nor do I sell Mapei, Ardex or any of the others. You can purchase Laticrete thin-sets at Centanni Tile in Burnaby. If you would like to use my account to get a slightly better price email Donny prior to going down to the store. His email is "Donny G. Centanni" <donny@centannitile.com>

Centanni Tile - dealer of Laticrete
    3737 Napier Street, Burnaby
    BC, V5C 3E4
    (604) 298-1531

Anytime you purchase a thin-set always double check the production date or best before date. Laticrete has the easiest system to read in the industry and the best bags for packaging. The manufacturing date on Laticrete setting materials is posted on the top of the bag.

You can see that Laticrete uses a plastic bag for their thin-sets. These bags are Italian made and the best in the industry. When transporting thin-set like I do in my truck it is important that you do not place the bag in a puddle or on something wet. I've drop these bags in a puddle before and not had a single drop of water enter the bag. I do not endorse this practice but it's nice to know if you get stuck in a sprinkle of rain you need not freak out.

Laticrete's system of printing the manufacturing date in plan English is so refreshing. No codes. No batch numbers or production months to remember. Just read the best before date. We try and buy product that is only 1-6 months old when possible. Always check these codes since thin-set has a one year shelf life if left unopened in the original bag!
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 07-06-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Blog Entries

Default Setting Nu-Heat Pads with Laticrete 254 Thin-set

Quote Originally Posted by SH140 View Post
    Almost time to stick some tile to the walls and was wondering..........If you have a niche? (recess), do you guys tile the recess first, or after, tiling the wall?

Also, at some point in the future, I'll be tiling a floor. I've already purchased a few bags of Laticrete 255. Can, or should, I use this for between Ditra and tile, and between plywood and Ditra?

Thanks.
    255 is modified thin-set so it is good between the Ditra and the Plywood subfloor.

Here is a peak at some Laticrete 254 thin-set. Set this heating mat from Nu-Heat last night at my buddies place.

Substrate is 5/8" sheathing then 1/4" WonderBoard Lite. Wonderboard lite also set with Laticrete 254 and roofing nails.

I mixed the thin-set loose. To make it loose I added 20% more water than specified on the bag.

This 254 thin-set from Laticrete is one of my favourites!

Later this weekend I'll install some Strata mat over the heating pad and do a little minor levelling