(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: I have a leak

Default I have a leak

I recently purchased a house and my yard sprinklers and pool are supplied by well water. I noticed today that a faucet water line by the pool is leaking under ground and flooding my yard. I have a captive air tank well system (only one line going in/out), how do I turn the water off so I can repair the broken line. I switched off the Well circuit breaker tonight and opened up the faucet. I let the water run for appox 20 minutes, but the water kept flowing strong. How long should it take for the water to stop? Will the air deplete in the tank with the well turned off and water depleted from the tank? Will I have to add pressure to the tank before I switch the well pump back on?
    Sorry for so many questions, just moved in approx 3 months ago, and this is my first experience with a well. If I can get the water shut off repairing the broken water line wont be a problem. I just need to know if I should call a plumber to take care of the well. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

There should be a valve at the pressure tank.

John

If you don't have a valve after the pressure tank to shut off the water to the line, just turn off the pump and drain the tank. If you have a big tank, like 80 gallon size, it holds about 25 gallons of water. With a small faucet, putting out 2 or 3 GPM, it might take 7 to 12 minutes to drain the tank. With the pump shut off, the water will stop when the tank is empty.