Having trouble connecting 3/4" copper pipe to 3/4" fittings.

Users who are viewing this thread

cyelrah1

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a beginner DIY whole house copper re piper. I have some experience with re piping and I've practiced soldering sections before beginning the job. I am aware that the pipe that is to be soldered needs to be cleaned to a bright finish, wiped off and fluxed before soldering. My problem is that I am have trouble with the simple task of connecting 10' sections of 3/4" copper to unions and 90 elbow's. The connections seems really tight and have to be worked on by turning back and forth. I'm afraid the connections are so tight that the solder won't flow properly. I bought the pipe sections at Orchard Supply and the fittings at Lowe's, but that shouldn't make a difference..........should it? Thanks

cyelrah1

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, Any tips on securing copper to floor joists? I have copper plated hanger. Will the pipe be noisy when water is flowing?

DougB

Reaction score
When you have trouble with copper tubing and fittings, it's probably that the tubing was mishandled, and it's a little out of round. Before I buy tubing I make sure that a sweat coupling fit's easily - if not I try another piece of copper.

The single ear / double ear straps are OK.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It would be almost impossible for a copper tube and fitting to be so tight that the joint would be defective. IF they were too TIGHT, you would not even be able to get the tubing inserted. But, they can be too LOOSE to make a good joint. A sweat joint depends on a close connection between the tube and fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks