Is there any difference in who makes the cartridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
I am going to replace the cartridge in my delta shower and price pfister faucet.

I am tired of buying crap. I am more tired of going to the plumbing supply house and being sold crap but charged the price for the quality part.

So, then the supply house hands me a box and says "they are all the same" Is there any brand I need to not buy?
I've been seeing ceramic cartridges online.
What gives?

Many thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I am tired of buying crap.

In that case stop buying them. Call 1-800-345-DELT for the Delta part, and 1-800-PFAUCET for Price Pfister. They will send you the parts for the cost of postage, and might not even charge postage

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There can be some differences. One specific that has annoyed me: aftermarket Moen cartridges just seem to be trouble. Might just be me. The OEM are much more expensive , but to me worth it.

The flip side of this is that many manufacturers do not make their own cartridges. The OEM-packaged part, and the generic, come from the same factory. Now, the older the model is, the more likely it is that there are MULTIPLE generic vendors. There are more than one company making the part, and each of these may sell them under multiple brands. This is where it gets hard. But for faucet models which are out of production, the ONLY option may be generic, and you just have to try things and find out what works for you.

Asktom

Reaction score
It is a throwaway world. Most stuff you just have to throw away. It takes good research &/or good advice to buy a long-term product these days. If that doesn't happen upstream, downstream is the dumpster.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; but I don't think this is a cartridge.

That is WHAT you called it in the original title of your post, but make the call REGARDLESS of what it is. IF you have a PP pressure balanced tub/shower valve the new cartridge will have an integral pressure balance spool so you would remove the one in your valve's body and throw it away.

Just saw your latest posting with pictures. DO NOT call Delta because that is not a Delta valve. It is an obsolete Valley, but big box and hardware stores have parts for it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks