Is foam insulation needed on PEX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike S

Reaction score
I am going to replace some or all of my copper water pipes with PEX. I had the copper hot water pipes wrapped with foam insulation when I had the house build: should I do the same with the PEX? I assume it would save energy and keep the water hotter.

Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it "necessary"? Insulation is never necessary, but quite desirable most of the time. I don't know how must insulation is built into PEX, but any additional insulation will help some. The foam insulation strips are too cheap not to use even for marginal improvement. :)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The only thing pipe insulation is good for, in my NSHO, is to prevent condensation in finished areas, and maybe a long copper run in a very very cold crawl space.
On a normal temp situation, but long copper run it might help prevent some cool down between showers. As far as freezing it might give you 15 min or so longer B4 freezing than with out it and if that much time is going to be a factor you have other problems.

Finnegan

Reaction score
I agreet that insulating pex cannot hurt, but because it does not conduct as well as copper, the heat loss should not be as great.

Mike S

Reaction score
I was thinking of the heat loss aspect. I don't have to much worry about the freezing except some unprotected areas. I hadn't though about the condensation. That would be only on the cold water pipes, correct? When I had the house built I only specified the hot lines.

Thanks for the replys.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There often isn't that much moisture inside of a wall, but in an unconditioned basement, you might get a fair amount of condensation. Also depends on your water source. A deep well is likely to have colder water in the summer than many municipal systems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks