(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: All Copper Water Heater?

Default All Copper Water Heater?

Does anyone make a gas fired storage water heater, 50 gal, that has all copper internals and connections?

I've had it with relying on galvanic unions and grounding wires. Sooner or later a water heater made from iron that is connected to a plumbing system that is otherwise all copper pipe and brass fittings starts corroding.

Also, copper has a thermal conductivity that is roughly ten times that of iron, steel, and stainless steel.

To this retired chemist, such a water heater ought to have a much longer lifetime. It ought to justify the higher price of copper with a longer amortization period. After all, that labor to construct a water heater must be a significant part of the overall cost of goods sold.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Way back when, there were some made that way...probably haven't been made with copper for 75-years or more, though. There are, I think, some with plastic or SS tanks (I know some indirect WH have SS tanks, cause I have one, not sure about those with burners). Scrap price on clean copper is around $5500/T, steel $225/T. That's a bit more than trivial.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Junior Member Skeptical_thinker's Avatar

The last time I saw an all copper water heater was a very long time ago in a summer cottage. The heat source was a kerosene pot burner. I don't think you want one of those.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

At one time they made water heaters that would last for decades. The problem was they would fill up with limescale rendering them uselessly inefficient.