Protecting copper from cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Sethamin

Reaction score
My plumber ran some supply lines in a very narrow brick channel next to the cast iron waste stack. Unfortunately, the copper and cast iron are touching at points, and the channel is so narrow that it's not possible to get any foam insulation in there. What else can I use to protect the copper from corrosion? I obviously want something that will last a long time. I was thinking of putting some vinyl PVC wrap tape between the CI and the Copper. Will that work? Other suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They in fact do make a plastic wrap for copper pipe. The stuff I use says UPC tape. I don't know what they sell in IPC country. But yes, you can throw some tape on the pipe.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
You could go to a craft or hobby shop and buy some sheet styrene. Cut some strips, slob some glue on and shove it in. It should never move, rot or rust. You could also go the the meet counter and buy a steak and use that thin styrofoam thing that they come packaged in. While your steak is cooking on the grill, wash it, cut it , glue it , and stick it between the pipes then go eat your steak.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is going to be very little, if any, movement so it makes little difference what you use to separate the pipes. Duct tape, cardboard, or any kind of plastic tape is sufficient.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks