(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Replacing/retrofitting an old wall mounted toilet

Hybrid View

Default Replacing/retrofitting an old wall mounted toilet

Hello all,

I have what appears to be a wall mounted toilet. I would assume this means its discharges into the wall instead of into the ground. This toilet is above a crawl space. It is an American Standard unit which I believe was manufactured in the late 80's because thats when the previous home owner built the addition where the bathroom/toilet is. Ideally I would like to replace this toilet with a new more efficient toilet but I have found it difficult to find replacement units. It seems like wall mount is more popular in commercial buildings. When I first got the house the toilet wouldn't flush unless I held the lever for a few seconds. I opened the top and found a bottle of cleaner inside of the tank so I discarded it. I played around with the chain and now it seems to flush properly. I have not heard it refilling/leaking...yet. I have attached pictures to this thread. Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone know of good, efficient wall mounted toilets that I could use to replace the one I have (shown in the pictures). I do not know how the tiles look under/behind the toilet so I would like to get a toilet that covers the same area that this old toilet does. I am hoping that the entire floor is tiled but I cannot be sure without removing the toilet.

2) If I cannot find a good replacement, what would you suggest I do to upgrade this toilet internally? As you can tell the flapper looks quite nasty probably from those in tank cleaning liquids the previous owner used. Most of the components could probably use a replacement. I went to Home Depot and the person there suggested I replace everything using this kit: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2021838...2#BVRRWidgetID

What do you guys think?

Name:  IMG_20130317_130149.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  38.3 KBName:  IMG_20130317_130211.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  32.3 KBName:  IMG_20130317_130221.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  55.1 KBName:  IMG_20130317_130226.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  62.1 KBName:  IMG_20130317_130230.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  53.5 KB

From the tank's #, it appears that this a "Yorkville" toilet, in which case it is a "rear outlet floor mounted" toilet NOT a wall mounted one. Therefore, if this is indeed the case, the "commercial" wall mounts, or even the residential ones would NOT work for you. You need a "ROFM" toilet and they are commonly interchangeable as far as the tile under and behind them is concerned. Keep the "blue junk" out of the tank.
    Last edited by hj; 03-19-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    From the tank's #, it appears that this a "Yorkville" toilet, in which case it is a "rear outlet floor mounted" toilet NOT a wall mounted one. Therefore, if this is indeed the case, the "commercial" wall mounts, or even the residential ones would NOT work for you. You need a "ROFM" toilet and they are commonly interchangeable as far as the tile under and behind them is concerned.
    I guess its floor mounted because its weight is on the floor? The bolts go into the wall. How would one find a ROFM toilet? I google'd it and didn't get much. Thanks!

Ok I found some. They seem really expensive compared to regular toilets. I think I might hold off replacing it for now. Would you mind answering this:

2) If I cannot find a good replacement, what would you suggest I do to upgrade this toilet internally? As you can tell the flapper looks quite nasty probably from those in tank cleaning liquids the previous owner used. Most of the components could probably use a replacement. I went to Home Depot and the person there suggested I replace everything using this kit: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2021838...2#BVRRWidgetID

Thank you.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Other than replacing the fill valve and the flapper valve, you can't really upgrade a toilet much of any...the key is to ensure that when replacing the fill valve is that both the tank AND the bowl get refilled without wasting a lot of water. The bowl will only hold so much, and any extra just drains out on its own. So, unless you buy an exact replacement (and the old ones typically overfilled the bowl by sometimes gallons!), you need to pick up one that is adjustable - Korky makes a nice one with clear instructions. A toilet whose bowl is not full when you start does not flush well. The flapper valve on older toilets stayed open until the tank was essentially empty...they were designed that way. Most of the new toilets do not...the flapper is either weighted or has calibrated holes in it to close once the proper amount is dumped. If your toilet is designed to use the whole tank, unless you use a flapper designed to dump it all, it may not flush well. An OEM flapper should work properly, but there are also some that are adjustable. Note where the flapper closes, and if you get an adjustable one, adjust it so it closes at the same level.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

If you do replace the toilet get a pressure assist model. The gravity fed rear discharge models just don't cut the mustard, the path of the trapway doesn't provide enough siphon for a gravity. Gerber now makes a 1.28 flushmate rear outlet, Kohler has a 1.0, but I'd rather have a little more water for a rear outlet.