(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: I Need a dyi Water System for my New Home

Hybrid View

Default I Need a dyi Water System for my New Home

My husband and I have a new home but we are not happy with the price quoted to us by our well driller on what it will cost to put in a water softener system. Here are our test results could someone direct us on what we need as we are both handy with projects? Our water is not terrible to drink or anything but after being here 4 months our fixtures are starting to malfuntion due to mineral build up and we have red staining in certain areas of our plumbing. From what I have read we definately need a softner but where I am stumped is, I get a softener then my Ph lowers, what next? My home has 6 occupants with 3300 sq. ft., not sure if this matters. We also have a system that boosts the pressure so we never lack in water pressure. Again not sure if any of this matters?!

Hardness - 6gpg

Iron - 1.4 ppm

Ph - 6.0

Manganese - .1ppm

Nitrates and Sulphur - No trace

Total Dissolved Solids - 130 ppm
    Last edited by smesler78; 03-17-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Your water is acidic and that requires an acid neutralizing filter. They add hardness to the water. Then you need a softener to remove the total hardness, iron and manganese. Some here will say you need an tron filter instead of using a softener to remove the iron etc.. They love spending your money for you and disagreeing with most things I say.

We need to know hw many people and bathrooms and if there are any large tubs, 2 person or body spray showers etc.. The sq ft of the house has nothing to do with this.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

That's what you call a preemptive strike

Yep, I sure do enjoy spending other folks money. Must have some democrat in me. Here's my take on iron removal. If, you are willing to do the extra maintenance and do it when it's required then indeed, you can use the softener to remove iron beware though that doing so will increase your salt use which over time begins to add up. Probably never add up to what an iron filter will cost but you will also pick up extra resin life if you are not removing iron too.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Ty guys.....I have two bathrooms, 4 sinks in the home including kitchen, 1 small tub, 1 shower with double heads. My next question is what do I do when the ph raises due to the softener?

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LOL, preemptive strike indeed. Sadly, some people will simply never understand that there may be more han one answer to a question.

As to the water softener, it will have little affect on the pH. Your pH should probably be corrected with a simple backwashing calcite system. Your iron is slightly higher than what I would prefer to treat with a softeer, but since your harness is so low, it is not much of a problem as it relates to total salt usage. A simple softener, my preference is the 7000, but the 2510SXT, or the 5600SXT would also be excellent choices.

A standard 1.5 Cu. Ft calcite and 1.5 Cu. Ft. softener should do you just fine. A res-up feedere would also be recommended and adds little cost.

One more questiion, I promise What brandname should I go for as to the calcite and the softner?