Sizing a new well pressure tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Cwilliams2000

Reaction score
I currently have a Pro Source "50" gallon tank which I believe holds much less than that and my house has a lot of bathrooms, plumbing, etc and I have irrigation. I always have thought that it cycles quite a bit, I haven't checked the pressure but don't think it's that as much as the demand. One page I read said, buy the biggest tank you can afford and fit, and then another said this is a bad thing.

I also have a pinhole leak on the manifold coming off the tank and have made some other upgrades so thought it might help my pump life and would be easier to replace the tank and manifold.

The tank I looked at was a extrol 82 or 86 gallon, does this make sense? Or is bigger not better?

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
It's just artificial head pressure. no different than if the pump were working from a deeper water level. wellxtrol is good tanks.. the pro source not so much.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would sell one for every job I do if it didn't take 1/2 hr of salesmanship that I admittedly lack.

I hear you on that one! The CSV is a simple product with a complicated explanation. Back in about 1995, I just started putting a CSV on every well system. I didn't even explain it anymore, that is just the way we did it from then on. Sometimes I would get a question about the small tank. I would just say I am happy to change it out to the old big tank type system, it will just reduce your warranty from 5 years to 1 year. Rarely did anyone want to go back to the old way fo doing things, especially after they had a few days of good constant pressure in the house.

Best thing is to let them play with this graphic. http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/simple/home.php

These kinds of things were not available 20 years ago.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks