(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiring a bathroom renovation contractor - Top Ten Questions to ask!

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Questions to ask a contractor - Interviewing a contractor

I received an email the other day from a friend in Montreal who tells me that one of my articles I wrote for Houzz.com has been copied and uploaded to a local flooring company here in Vancouver. The post by a competitor of mine here locally brings up a really touchy subject. Is it OK to post other people's work on your web site or blog site? Are there rules for doing this? I'm not sure what I think about the practice and assume there is miles and miles of grey areas on the subject matter.

The featured articles on Houzz.com are Houzz's articles not mine. I'm sure they will look into this for me and either the company responsible will give credit to Houzz and me or not. I really don't care since the article is a good one and does promote good shower building practices. But - what if I loose out on a job because someone hires a company beliveing my work and the work of my friends is in fact our competitors???

This lead me to think of a new question to ask your contractors in a renovation.

"Is the work showcased on your website, your portfolio, your Facebook page and blog your work?" - Seams like a simple question but I think an important question to ask.

I have notice many Facebook pages using shower pictures I have seen online within the random posts. Two poster in particular I have noticed do this on a regular basis and never let those viewing the pictures know that the work was not done by them but in fact by another crew in another country! Scary.
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 07-06-2013 at 09:15 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Bathroom renovation contractor Interviewing Questions - Top Ten Questions to ask!

A random question you can ask your tile contractor is this.

"What is the best thin-set to use and how fresh should it be?"

This is a good question and can lead to many different answers. Most tile pros have a favourite but tile choice will play a factor. Also any tile pro not familiar with checking his product for freshness is a RED FLAG in my book.

Thin-set is always on the move. Pallets come and pallets go. Not knowing how to check can put some expired setting materials into your shower's build and this one error can result in a failure. I've been there and done that. This little School of hard Knocks training has hit me hard in the wallet when we needed to redo an entire kitchen floor's tile!.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.