Garbage disposal question

Users who are viewing this thread

SocialD

Reaction score
I have an Insinkerator garbage disposal that has died. I was looking to replace it with another of the same brand since I figured the holes of the new one would line up with the last one. Then my mom said that she is willing to give us a KitchenAid disposal from the store where she sells them. Is installing a garbage disposal easy to do? I am an absolute beginner when it comes to plumbing other than changing toilets and shower heads. Also am I going to run into any issues because of switching brands? My first thought is that the holes may not line up correctly which I guess might be an easy fix.

Thanks for your help.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You would save some trouble by purchasing another insinkerator, as then you should not have to replace the strainer body on the sink itself. Replacing the sink strainer body can be half of the job.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
What holes are you talking about? I've installed maybe over 50 disposals and never ever had to make a "hole", anywhere.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I imagine the OP is referring to the height of the disposer outlet.

It is not a trivial problem if the new disposer has a discharge outlet which is lower than the old disposer (since drain lines have to slope downward).

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Also -- re: Insinkerator vs KitchenAid--

I like the Insinkerator Evolution series. Not cheap, but I have not had any problems with backups since putting an Evolution in my kitchen. It grinds "stuff" finer than other disposers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No idea, but the KitchenAid may be a rebranded Insinkerator...you'd have to look at it closely to tell.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
All you have to do to find out if a disposer is a "rebranded" ISE is to check the mounting flange. KitchenAide is NOT one of them and, to me, it has an inferior mounting system.

SocialD

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. My original plan was to stick with the same brand to make things easier, but if I can save some money with a free model I can't pass it up. After looking at the plumbing underneath it doesn't seem like it would be too much trouble to move the connecting pipe up or down a bit. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks