(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: air in brine tank tube

Default air in brine tank tube

so I cleaned my brine tank and put water and salt in them manual regenerated our after several hours, well I don't think I put enough water in the brine tank and the tube was sucking water out with air pockets from the brine tank to the softner cause the water ran out. What do I do, will it just fix itself next time it regenerates?

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

All softeners have a devise (air check) to prevent air from being drawn during the brining cycle. If you could hear air being sucked into the brine line, the air check is bad and needs to be replaced. The air check is either in the brine tank (very end of the tube going to the bottom of the brine tank) or it's a clear plastic cylinder mounted on the softener valve.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

I think most if not all softeners draw out all of the brine and still have time left over on the brine cycle. As mialynette said, there is a device that should stop air from being sucked continually during the remainder of the brine cycle. On mine, the device does not seal perfectly so I see some air bubbles go up the brine line.

If too much air is allowed to enter the cylinder, you will have air above the resin and may hear the sound of water splashing (like peeing in a toilet) during use.

Loose brine line compression fittings is the primary cause of air in the brine line. That assumes there is water over the end of the brine pickup tube. If there is air after the water gets down to the air check height, then the ball type check valve in the brine pickup tube or on the control valve is leaking.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.