Distance of 1/2" water pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

muskymike

Reaction score
Hi all, new here. I'm in the process of adding a new shower and need to get water over to it. It is roughly 25 feet from any water pipes that I can access easily. They are only 1/2". Will this be ok for the shower to feed that distance?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Will there only be one showerhead and no other load? Depending on what else runs from that 1/2" line, none may work well if all are running. 1/2" works well with one load (outlet)...it can be problematic when you start to add more outlets.

muskymike

Reaction score
Hi Jim, how ya been? Yes there will only be one shower head and the shower won't be used much. The lines I'm planning on tying off from are running to the kitchen.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Long time no see! Been fine, retired, enjoying myself. All modern shower valves are required to have anti-scald technology, so if someone did open the kitchen faucet or turn on the dishwasher, you wouldn't get scalded! Since they are flow restricted, too, you may not notice at all.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Long time no see! Been fine, retired, enjoying myself. All modern shower valves are required to have anti-scald technology, so if someone did open the kitchen faucet or turn on the dishwasher, you wouldn't get scalded! Since they are flow restricted, too, you may not notice at all.

I'm confused guys. You chat every day on the John Bridge tile forum. Why are you acting like you just met on the street.

Musky Mike you have 15,230 post as of today and Jim has 7,429 posts on the John Bridge forum. Seriously you are going to act like you just met? Weird. JW

muskymike

Reaction score
John what does that have to do with my question? I met Jim in person about 5 years ago. I don't talk to him everyday.:rolleyes:

Thanks Jim, I know about the antiscald valves I have installed lots of them. I was just worried about running the 1/2" lines that far with out having a volume drop.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What KIND of 1/2" lines are you running? Copper, CPVC, or PEX. If either of the last two, then it will be undersized for that distance. John, on another forum regarding computer problems, I once had one person asking the question, and her "suite mate" at the next desk answered it as if they did not know each other and had never met.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks