What kind of maintenance has to be done on a rainsoft softening system?

Users who are viewing this thread

mrginas

Reaction score
I have a used rainsoft softening system .it has been disconnected for about two years. Before that it was working fine. Before I hook it up to my new home what would have to be done with it to make sure it's running properly. There are two tanks besides the brine tank . I assume one is a carbon filter tank and the other is a resin tank. Do I have to change any of the resin or carbon,in these tanks? What yearly maintenance is preformed on this equipment ? What is the life span of these systems? How often do you have to change the carbon,resin in this system? I have looked on line for a maintenance manual for this system but I have had no luck in finding one. I have spent many hours on line trying to find this stuff out. Thanks for taking the time to look at this post.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I found a half dozen or so manuals for various Rainsoft systems after a few minutes' Googling. If you could tell us the exact model number and supply pictures of the overall system and control heads, I'm sure the pros who hang out here could give ou the right scoop.

mrginas

Reaction score
I found a half dozen or so manuals for various Rainsoft systems after a few minutes' Googling. If you could tell us the exact model number and supply pictures of the overall system and control heads, I'm sure the pros who hang out here could give ou the right scoop.

Hi Mickey
Sorry it's been so long for a reply to your post.i will be taking pictures of the rainsoft system this week. I also live in cent Florida near Ocala . Do most plumbers in this area know how to seta system like rainsoft up?
Thank you. Tom

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I can't speak for all plumbers, but I would imagine most would have some knowledge of softeners. RainSoft may be proprietary enough that it can only be serviced fully by authorized RainSoft service facilities. There is a RainSoft dealer locator on the Web; choosing a random Ocala ZIP code for the search, I found Florida Energy Water & Air, Inc., in Archer, but have no experience with them. I do have experience with Los Aviña Mexican Restaurant in Archer, though -- excellent.
[h=1][/h]

mrginas

Reaction score
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgOk so this is what I have. I got this from my daughters house in Charleston sc . It was put in by the former owner. The water in that house was not hard but the owner was sold a bill of goods. My daughter had it un hooked about two years ago when she had a new hot water tank put in. I got it and now and was wondering if it is worth while to have it hooked up. One tank I think is a carbon pre filter but I'm not sure. They have been sitting for two years not hooked up .do I have to change the resin and carbon? Can a new valve be installed on the tank? The system was put in around 2001 in SC , maybe used for about ten years. I don't know if the rain soft tanks are universal, if they are I was thinking of using them and just replacing the timer and valve. This system was working when it was taken out. Hopefully the pictures will come thru.

Last edited:

mrginas

Reaction score
Sorry for the double pics ,it was a learning curve , lol

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Resin can be tested to see if it is still good. Get a sample and squeese it between thumb and finger. If it smaches up it no good. Carbon is a breeding ground for bacteria. Being unhooked for 2 years is not good. Seeing it is a health issue, I would replace it to be safe. I don't believe the tanks can be used for another valve unles they have an adpator converting a standard tank to fit the Rainsoft valve. Send a closer pic of were the valve mounts to the tank.

mrginas

Reaction score
Resin can be tested to see if it is still good. Get a sample and squeese it between thumb and finger. If it smaches up it no good. Carbon is a breeding ground for bacteria. Being unhooked for 2 years is not good. Seeing it is a health issue, I would replace it to be safe. I don't believe the tanks can be used for another valve unles they have an adpator converting a standard tank to fit the Rainsoft valve. Send a closer pic of were the valve mounts to the tank.
Here are the pics.....image.jpgimage.jpg

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
It does not look like they used an adaptor to convert a standard tank. Rainsoft thread and tank opening size are not standard so you will not be able to use another valve on those tanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks