Connecting dwv vents in attic

Users who are viewing this thread

Finishguy007

Reaction score
1 shower, 2 sinks, 1 whirlpool tub and 1 toilet. Can all these vents connect in the attic and return to the main 3" vent stack? Distance they must travel in attic is 25' approx.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the horizontal run is 1/3 the vertical rise. Is that what you mean?

More than. It can be up to 1/3 the vertical. If more than that, it bumps a size. That keeps the inspector happy.
That hardly ever comes into play.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your total length of the horizontal run must be less than 1/3'rd the total length of the pipe's vertical run, or you need to bump the pipe size up one. The idea is that any horizontal pipe run still needs some slope to it, and you need to still have an air path for it to work as a vent in case for some reason it got some moisture in there (say rain, condensation, or whatever).

Finishguy007

Reaction score
I think I'm picking up what your putting down. I understand the horizontal. But when you speak of vertical are you referring to the vertical rise of that horizontal pipe. This horizontal vent is say 30'. Is the vertical the distance this pipe goes from its beginning to where it ties into main stack? Sounds like just running 2"-3" up there is a safe call.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks