(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toilet Never Stops Running....

Hybrid View

Default Toilet Never Stops Running....

Hello,

Have a toilet that never stops running and don't know what to do and it makes bubbly sounds at times. It also sometimes does not flush completely (like maybe every 10th time or so). I am including a picture of the inside of my tank. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated ;-)

INSIDE TANK:

SHUT OFF VALVE:

Thank folks!!!

peace out,
    daddylogan

Default toilet

Nice pictures, unfortunately, they show us NOTHING about why it doesn't shut off. We would have to be there while it is happening to see which, of several possibilities, condition is causing it.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Sorry I wasn't more descriptive hj. Basically the toilet sounds like it is "trickling" all the time and I believe the water is leaking into the bowl because I can see the water moving inside the bowl while it is making noise. Then sometimes it makes a bubbling sound along with the trickling. Basically, does this sound like an internal part or is the toilet just gone bad? I suppose I could should video with sound if that would help? Let me know what you would like me to do or provide ;-)

Thanks

peace out,
    daddylogan

did you replace the seal for the flush valve (mansfield #210)? it appears to be a Mansfield. It's a red rubber ring at the base of the flush valve. Maybe it's a crack in the overflow tube somewhere down below water line if not the seal.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A leaking toilet can provide a HUGE surprise when you get your next water bill, so you're right to address this as fast as you can. While you're at it, the shutoff valve and hose (I think that's a one-piece design, both come together) is not ideal, either. You may want to consider replacing that as well. If you move that metal hose at all, it might crack, then you'd have an even bigger problem. Your immediate problem is almost certainly the seal. That is, unless the water level is rising so far that it's running down the overflow tube from the tank (it's normal for water to go out there during a refill, but it must shut off eventually). If the toilet's fill valve isn't shutting off and the tank level is rising to the overflow, then you should consider replacing the fill valve. It might be possible to service the existing fill valve, but they're pretty cheap, so replacement is likely the more reasonable alternative. Because you have to move the supply line, and yours is that metal type, please then also replace the shutoff at the wall and install a new hose on it...do not try to reuse what you have there.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    A leaking toilet can provide a HUGE surprise when you get your next water bill, so you're right to address this as fast as you can. While you're at it, the shutoff valve and hose (I think that's a one-piece design, both come together) is not ideal, either. You may want to consider replacing that as well. If you move that metal hose at all, it might crack, then you'd have an even bigger problem. Your immediate problem is almost certainly the seal. That is, unless the water level is rising so far that it's running down the overflow tube from the tank (it's normal for water to go out there during a refill, but it must shut off eventually). If the toilet's fill valve isn't shutting off and the tank level is rising to the overflow, then you should consider replacing the fill valve. It might be possible to service the existing fill valve, but they're pretty cheap, so replacement is likely the more reasonable alternative. Because you have to move the supply line, and yours is that metal type, please then also replace the shutoff at the wall and install a new hose on it...do not try to reuse what you have there.
    Thank you very much for the response! I am green when it comes to this plumbing stuff so what seal are you talking about and where is is located? Is the seal part of the fill valve? I also thought most toilets have a flapper but mine looks like it has something different that opens when the handle is flushed...could that be part of the problem? This is why I posted a picture of both (the inside the tank and the shut off) because I need to learn and that shut off looks really old and musty so I am glad you said something jadnashua!!! Hope to hear from ya again and thank you!!!

BTW...would a new fill valve get rid of that horrible float ball???? LOL

peace out,
    daddylogan