Gas line questions

Users who are viewing this thread

John/Charleston

Reaction score
Here's the situation: There's a gas line run thru the floor of the kitchen where the customer wants a base cabinet. It's newly run with some of that flexible line under the house and comes thru the floor with a nice flange around it. It's a 3/4 line that has a 3/4-1/2 adapter right about at the floor level and then the 1/2" cut off valve on top of that. It sticks up about 4 1/2" above the finished floor.
This would be fine if the customer wanted a free standing stove but what she wants is a base cabinet with a gas cooktop mounted in it. I need to disconnect the ball valve and extend the pipe by about 6" so it comes up inside the cabinet with the valve accessible. My experience with gas line is mainly with black or galvanized pipe. Does it make sense to go from the brass adapter to a 6" steel pipe nipple then back to brass for the cut off valve or is there a better way to extend the brass fittings?

I know I should have a picture but I wasn't that smart earlier in the day and I'm hoping this is clear enough. The guy who installed the gas line can't get back til late next week so I'm the guy to extend the line so I can install the cabinet.

Bonus question! The cooktop looks to be used and does not have a pressure regulator on it. Necessary?

Thanks,
John

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
So what exactly is your concern? Using steel in combination with brass fittings? If consistency is your thing, then brass pipe nipples are
readily available.

The cooktop most certainly does need a regulator, and not just any old regulator, either. A suitable part may well be available from
the cooktop manufacturer, or perhaps just the specifications.

John/Charleston

Reaction score
So what exactly is your concern? Using steel in combination with brass fittings? If consistency is your thing, then brass pipe nipples are
readily available.

The cooktop most certainly does need a regulator, and not just any old regulator, either. A suitable part may well be available from
the cooktop manufacturer, or perhaps just the specifications.

Well yes, using brass to steel to brass seemed odd to me but if it's a logical way to go, I'm ok with it. I don't think I've ever seen fittings put together like that before and was just making sure there wasn't something not-right with the idea.

As for the regulator, I figured that was most likely the case and have already told the owner she needs to contact an appliance dealer to see about getting a regulator.

I appreciate the answers!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks