Water coming up through well wiring housing

Users who are viewing this thread

kcmhall

Reaction score
When we have significant snow melting along with heavy rain I get water coming up throught the pvc pipe that houses the wiring for my well pump. Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The water may be coming from the well, or it may be ground water that is getting into an unsealed conduit.

If the latter, or if the pressure is low, you can probably plug it as follows:

1. Get a Schedule 40 PVC cap that fits the PVC pipe coming into the house.
2. Disconnect your wires in the house and run them through individual holes that you will drill in the cap. The holes should be just large enough to pass the wire without damaging the insulation.
3. After moving the cap close to the existing PVC pipe, apply a liberal amount of silicone bathtub caulk or sealant to seal the points where the wires come through the cap. Keep the sealant off the point where you will need to glue the cap to the pipe through the wall.
4. Since the pressure is low, you can probably glue the cap on with the silicone. If you want, you can use PVC cement.

If you have a convenient drain, you could put a tee between the inlet and the cap (outlet pointed down) and run a pipe or hose to a drain. If you do that, you should put sealant into the pipe before the tee, and in the cap, so you will have only leakage flow to the drain.

kcmhall

Reaction score
kcmhall said:
When we have significant snow melting along with heavy rain I get water coming up throught the pvc pipe that houses the wiring for my well pump. Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?
My well is flowing out the top of the pump outside. What does this mean. I know there is too much water but does that mean my well isn't deep enough? Do I need to hire someone or is this something I can remedy myself? Our home was built in 2001 in New York. I do not have any information on what type of well was installed because we are the second owners and no information was left for us. The previous owner did not have this problem according to the neighbors. I can hardly believe this since there is no seal around the wiring that is coming up out of the basement floor and this happened yesterday as well as last spring when all the snow melted and we had a lot of rain but didn't happen in the fall when we had severe flooding in the area.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
Without actually knowing more about your situation. Well depth, diameter, type (screened or rock well), if your in a flowing well country or not. It's hard to help you out of this one. I would call the local well driller and let him have a look. He would know the area and would know if flowing wells are the norm in your area.

It wouldn't hurt to have the water tested when it's doing this also.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks