Tankless Toilet extremely loud

Users who are viewing this thread

albundyhere

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought an apartment in New York City. It's in an old co-op building and it has a tankless toilet that is capable of waking everyone up in the morning when flushed. Now I know that these things are used in commercial buildings and such, but is there any way to suppress the noise that it makes (even a little)? I have a valve over the toilet, and dont want to make things worse before I ask around. I am not sure if it is the water pressure causing this or something else. If not, would a replacement of a standard toilet and tank be possible?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It likely has a Flushometer valve. They are typically a lot louder than a gravity flush toilet. They use at least a 1" water supply, which is often only available in a commercial or multifamily building. If you are allowed to make some changes, yes, a typical toilet could be retrofitted. Is this a wall-hung or rear-discharge toilet? The wall may or may not be adequate to house an in-wall tank and there may not be room for the carrier required, unless you can reuse one that may be there. If it is a floor-mount on a normal toilet flange, measure from the bolts to the wall. That will potentially be easier, especially if the flange is a standard 12" from the wall (not the baseboard). Then, all you'd need is a reducer on the water line, a shutoff valve, if one doesn't exist, and a stock toilet. So, the answer is maybe.

albundyhere

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It's a rear-discharge (no pun intended) toilet. it's definitely floor mounted, but I have to double check the measurements to make sure a retrofit is even possible as the flange is quite close to the wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A rear-discharge toilet discharges into the wall. The height of the fitting may be standard, but your choice of toilets may be severely limited. You'd have lots more choices if it discharged into the floor at a standard 12" toilet flange. Changing from a rear-discharge to a floor toilet flange could be quite expensive and you may not be able to get permission to move the pipes or gain access to the unit below, which is a likely requirement unless you're willing to tear up your floor (if that is even possible - probably not if it is poured concrete).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks