American Standard kitchen faucet fixing

Users who are viewing this thread

Mazcar

Reaction score
Hi Gents,
Today, I am working on an American Standard single-handle kitchen faucet. It's a ten year old Reliant-ish model with a side sprayer. It started pouring water underneath my counter and here we are. I called A/S and they told me they have a lifetime warranty and they sent me a new cartridge, spout o-ring kit, and an intermediate plate with some o-rings installed. All I had to do was send them a picture of the faucet for ID.
The take apart was easy. The hex screw access is under the h/c emblem underneath the handle. Mine was a twist-and-destroy system. The cover lifted right off and the cartridge was simple with three screws. The spout, was a simple twist-and-lift method. It's all kind of scary because these faucets rock. Apparently, that's a common complaint. Sorry for superfluous info for you experts, but maybe the new guys can benefit.

I cleaned everything really well with vinegar and a Scotch-Brite pad so as to not gouge any of the sealing surfaces.

Based on the pictures, is it clean enough? It's not laziness, I just don't want to get too rough with the surfaces.

Also, I notice a gap between the faucet 'tower' and the chrome base plate. There's even what appears to be a drain hole. Why would they want water to drain under the sink instead of the counter where the issue will be at the forefront, I don't know. Should I silicone the gap, but leave the drain hole?

Should I slather the silicone grease everywhere and just put it all back together, at this point.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC02891.jpg
    DSC02891.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 605
  • DSC02897.jpg
    DSC02897.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 540

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
I personally have no idea why there is some kind of drain hole. You did a great job of cleaning it up.. Those scotch brite pads are really good to use. Those Scotch sure are smart LOL. I use them to clean copper pipe for sweating. They do a great job and are easy to grip in my hand. Sand paper is slick on the back and hard for my fingers to grip. You can also role it and force it into a fitting for equally great cleaning. Silicone grease is a great idea. Put plenty on the O rings and any screw that tightens anything down. Even the cover that hides a screw. SMEAR IT EVERYWHERE!!

Mazcar

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I silicone greased everything and got no leaks. I was going to take pictures and do a nice tutorial for newbies (even newer than me), but the grease was a mess. LOL. I will suggest not throwing away the old parts. They were in pretty good shape and most of the rubber came back to life with a little massaging with the silicone grease. The spout o-rings were a little too compressed for re-use, however. The o-ring kit, if not free from the manufacturer, is under five bucks, anyway. Also, the old black cartridge cover needs to be re-used to have the lever work properly. And yes, it needs a little lube to be pulled off of the old cartridge. Below are the part numbers.DSC02941.jpgDSC02942.jpg

023529-0070A Cartdrige 47mm w/ seals
060343-0070A Spacer disk and seal kit-rel+cast spouts
060366-0070A Seal kit for rel+kit w/cast spouts

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks