(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Saddle Valve Question

Smile Saddle Valve Question

I recently replaced all of my supply lines, but I still need to connect my whole-house humidifier to the water line. It looks like a 1/4" line (like my refrigerator water line). Previously, it was connected to a 3/4" cold water supply via a saddle valve.
    Is this the best way? Can I turn off a saddle valve once itís been tapped? I want to be able to change the line when it clogs without having to shut off my entire water supply. I considered putting a 3/4 to 1/2 T, running 1/2 toward the furnace with a shut-off along the way, and then finding a compression adapter (if one exists) to go from 1/2 to 1/4. Perhaps this is overkill. Any opinions?
    Thanks,
    Danny

Your plan is the best option. Saddle valves are not the most relilable method. It will not take too long to cut in a tee, add a shut off valve and a compression fitting to get you to 1/4".

Default Thank you

Thank you Finnegan! I'll give it a try.

Saddle valves usually end up causing problems sooner or later.

Get an icemaker angle stop,it already has a 1/4" compression outlet.Then use the polymer-braided (looks like stainless) tubing icemaker connector.

Default perfect

Perfect! Thank you!

Sound and Light Suppervisor for a School District tjbaudio's Avatar

Just an FYI we just had a new furnace put in and the current preferred method is to use hot water into the humidifier. At least that is the case with my April air unit that has no standing water. It just runs when needed. Hot evaporates better is the reason.