(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: Water Softener Questions

  1. #31
    DIY Junior Member robshobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Commerce City, CO
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Lending my two cents to the plumbing question, I installed my system on Monday. I cut into the main copper line and installed a bypass valve system using Sharkbite connectors and valves from Home Depot. I then used flexible tubing to tie the softner to the water lines. It took me less than 20 minutes from the time I cut into the main line until I was done.

    I intend to put a quick frame behind the PEC tubing to secure it better.

    Rob

    Name:  Softener Plumbing.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  38.6 KB

  2. #32
    DIY Senior Member amateurplumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Thanks for the picture and info! Your area definitely seems much cleaner than mine, haha.

    Bah, trying to decide if I need a 64,000 grain softener or not. This is maddening. I hate our water company.

  3. #33
    DIY Junior Member Frieso Pouwer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    2

    Default

    When I saw the picture, I had to laugh! I spend roughly an hour and half setting up softeners, installing them, and then testing them to make sure they work well, so when you said 20 minutes, I think that is awesome! Shark bite fittings are great and there is a valve from Clack Corporation that you get those fittings right in the back of them, but you made good use of what you had. Just a quick question though, The stainless steel braided hose you put in, there wasn't anything longer was there in home depot. Would have been nice keep it all in copper. Don't get me wrong pex is good, just not as straight as copper. Oh and amateurplumber1 unless you have a house with like 6 bathrooms and about 18 residents living you don't need 64kGr softener. Its all about the flow for that. There is roughly 2 cubic feet of resin in a tank that large and will handle flows of up to 10 gallons per minute. So unless it is a big house on an acreage with a well pump that can do that, then just go for a 33kGr or a 45kGr water softener depending if you can get 5gpm or 7gpm out of your lines.

  4. #34
    DIY Junior Member robshobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Commerce City, CO
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frieso Pouwer View Post
    When I saw the picture, I had to laugh! I spend roughly an hour and half setting up softeners, installing them, and then testing them to make sure they work well, so when you said 20 minutes, I think that is awesome! Shark bite fittings are great and there is a valve from Clack Corporation that you get those fittings right in the back of them, but you made good use of what you had. Just a quick question though, The stainless steel braided hose you put in, there wasn't anything longer was there in home depot.
    OK. It was 20 minutes to cut into the piping, make all of the Shark Bite connections and connect to the water softener. It took us about hour and a half more to fill the take with resin, connect everything together and get it running. I didn't think that was too bad for having never installed a water softener.

    No. Home Depot did not have any longer braided connections. It would have been nice if they had.

  5. #35
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frieso Pouwer View Post
    Oh and amateurplumber1 unless you have a house with like 6 bathrooms and about 18 residents living you don't need 64kGr softener. Its all about the flow for that. There is roughly 2 cubic feet of resin in a tank that large and will handle flows of up to 10 gallons per minute. So unless it is a big house on an acreage with a well pump that can do that, then just go for a 33kGr or a 45kGr water softener depending if you can get 5gpm or 7gpm out of your lines.
    I'd like to see your data to back up your claim for the 6 bathrooms and 18 people only needing a 2.0 cuft and the data for Amateurplumber only needing a 1.0 or`1.5 cuft.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  6. #36
    In the Trades Tom Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,939

    Default

    I second the motion and, you guys with the sharkbites and flex supplies. Any idea how much restriction all that mess adds to the system?
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

  7. #37
    DIY Senior Member lifespeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Did you notice a drop in water pressure/flow after this install, particularly at the tub? Sorry to criticize your handiwork, but that would have been easily done in copper, and should have been.

    Pretty cheap and easy to fix. Soldering is not hard, especially when you have free access to the pipes.
    Lifespeed

  8. #38
    DIY Junior Member robshobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Commerce City, CO
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    Did you notice a drop in water pressure/flow after this install, particularly at the tub? Sorry to criticize your handiwork, but that would have been easily done in copper, and should have been.

    Pretty cheap and easy to fix. Soldering is not hard, especially when you have free access to the pipes.
    No, I have not seen any significant pressure drop. My soaker tub in the master bath has always had high pressure and continues to do so. I do wish I had measure the gpm before and after. The other day I was showering and noticed low pressure but that is pretty typical when three of us are showering at the same time. I am sure some of the pressure loss is from the SharkBite but I'm guessing the softener is part of the loss as well.

    The price of copper has risen so much that the SharkBite solution was not that much more. I am a pretty good ameatur as soldering but it is a slow process for me. I like the SharkBite solutions ease.

  9. #39
    Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,686

    Default

    Not a factor in all cases, but another advantage of the Sharkbite-style fittings is that they're easily removable and reusable.

  10. #40
    DIY Senior Member amateurplumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Btw, just wanted to thank everyone for all the help here, especially dittohead (I think I have PMed him like 20 times; I have no idea how he puts up with my questions and actually answers everyone in detail lol ). I'm pretty close to wrapping this thing up, and I've learned a lot about plumbing and DIY stuff in the process! I would have been screwed without you guys, haha.

  11. #41
    Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,707
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Not a factor in all cases, but another advantage of the Sharkbite-style fittings is that they're easily removable and reusable.
    Easy to remove??? LOL, they arent too bad but... "easy" might be a stretch, especially if they have been installed for a little while.

    Or maybe it is just my girly arms and fingers.

    Ever try to remove them without the tool? Now that is no fun!

  12. #42
    DIY Junior Member JohnnyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Ya dang well better post pictures when you are done.

  13. #43
    DIY Senior Member amateurplumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Update: still haven't installed the system! There's resin and water in the tank, and it's been sitting there for a week or two (which I hope is ok, lol) since I thought i could easily install it. Our plumbing is awful. I can't even trace the lines because everything is so convoluted. And i'm finally going to have some time to pick up gravel, which is kind of far away and didn't come with the system. This has been a nightmare!

  14. #44
    Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ditttohead View Post
    Ever try to remove them without the tool? Now that is no fun!
    Nope. I'm not the brightest light on the tree, but I know to use the tool, especially if they're as cheap as these are...

  15. #45
    Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,686

    Default

    really deleted

Similar Threads

  1. terrylove.com forums and Firefox
    By DonL in forum Computers and Stuff
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 08:26 AM
  2. How to empty water softener? (Kenmore deluxe demand water softener 625)
    By birkoff in forum Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and reviews
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
  3. Remodeling Forums ?
    By chefwong in forum Remodel Forum & Blog
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-22-2012, 06:03 PM
  4. Problems Launching Terry's Forums
    By DonL in forum Computers and Stuff
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 05:17 PM
  5. What other forums are you members of?
    By Ian Gills in forum Ian's Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 05:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •