(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Stripped cast iron clean out.

Default Stripped cast iron clean out.

The main sewer out of the house is 3" cast iron, built around 1960. The clean out is a cast iron tee with a brass plug, about 2 feet from the foundation. The plug has come loose and the CI treads are rusted and swelled so that I can't screw in a new plug. Grade level has increased about 10 inches over the years, so I want to put an extension to grade as well. What is the recommended repair. (I am capable of DIY) Is there some kind of doughnut or other reducer, or should I cut out the tee and replace it with PVC and rubber connectors? If I have to replace the tee should I use a Y or tee?

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

I prefer to have the cleanout set flush with the surrounding grade, as it is less likely to be an eyesore or get in the way. If the main line is deep it is preferred to set a wye facing each direction, so that the line can be rodded towards the inside and towards the street. Cast iron is the preferred material here for exposed pipe and fittings.

Heli coil.

quote; Heli coil.

If it is actually a 3" cast iron line, the cleanout is probably a 2 1/2" pipe thread. How much would a 2 1/2", ( or possibly 3"), HeliCoil tap, adapter, and brass plug cost? Probably a whole lot since I don't think they make that size so it would have to be a custom fabrication.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You might be lucky and an expandable rubber plug might seal. Otherwise, replacing it may be the only option.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I've only encountered 2 1/2 in. pipe once in a plumbing application, but I believe it's used widely for electrical conduit. You might be able to find
    a steel conduit fitting with 2 1/2 in. male threads and use that as a thread chaser on the cast iron. It would be better, though, for clean-out
    purposes, just to remove the cleanout fitting at the cast iron hub and use a donut to extend the 3 in pipe to grade level.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    quote; Heli coil.

If it is actually a 3" cast iron line, the cleanout is probably a 2 1/2" pipe thread. How much would a 2 1/2", ( or possibly 3"), HeliCoil tap, adapter, and brass plug cost? Probably a whole lot since I don't think they make that size so it would have to be a custom fabrication.
    I was actually joking. I thought a 3" Heli Coil would be redunkulous.

But, checking on Heli-Coil site the "tap" out at 1 7/8"

People with problems do not always appreciate humor. I have used a wire brush wheel to clean the threads so the plug would screw in.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

The rubber plug would be the quick and cheap solution. If this is a cleanout leaded into a hub, then it would be a straightforward replacement.